23

"Well I should be going." Billie Joe said. I nodded. He kissed my forehead as he left.
"Stay safe, please." He said.
"I will, you too." I said back. I locked the door behind him and looked at the bedside alarm clock.
"Fuck it's 2 in the morning." I said to myself. I got up and walked to the bathroom. I got in the shower and then after that went to sleep. I tossed and turned. The first night I had slept alone in months was hard. I missed my dog. I wrapped myself in the blankets and thought for awhile. And awhile turned to hours. And hours turned to daylight. It was morning and I hadn't slept. Finally, my eyes shut, and I was asleep.

"Billie Joe what are you saying." I laughed.
"I'm just saying, wouldn't it be weird if dolphins could really talk?" He asked.
"I guess so." Billie Joe had his head on my lap, Billie Joe was smiling sleepily, we were trapped in a torrid haze of honey. He was visibly happy, on my end there was a deep sadness. He sat up a bit, and he kissed me. And then I was awoken by a knock.

I checked the clock, 3 in the afternoon. I got up and opened the door. It was Kurt.
"Can I come in?" He asked.
"Ok" I opened the door. He stepped inside and I shut the door behind him.
"Is there any use in explaining?" He said as he sat down on the unmade bed.
"No." I said coldly.
"I'm sorry about what I said. I just didn't want to worry about the legal shit. I just wanted to bond with my daughter.
"Then go back and bond with her." I rolled my eyes. He looked sad.
"Please come home. You can't live your life in a cheap motel. " he said.
"By your famous standards I can't. I think it's fine." I said. He sighed.
"You're always welcome at home." He said.
"You're nearly never welcome here. I said. He got up and calmly walked out. I locked the door and went back to sleep a few hours later I woke up to the phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said groggily.
"It's Billie Joe, Kurt tried to overdose. He's in the hospital." I looked at the clock, it was 7 at night.
"Can you come get me?" I asked.
"Yeah. Pack up. We have a nicer hotel room, we'd feel more comfortable if you weren't alone." He said.
"Okay, see you then."
"See you then."

I had started feeling different about Billie Joe after that dream. He was really nice and quite handsome. I got up and gathered my bags. Billie Joe was here within 10 minutes. When I opened the door almost instantly he was hugging me.
"Hi." I said.
"You ready?" He asked. I nodded. I took my stuff out to his car and he checked out. I sat in the passenger seat messing with the radio until Billie got back. When I saw him he seemed happy, we drove to the hospital. We walked inside. The woman at the desk eyed Billie Joe's colored hair.
"What?" She said rudely.
"I'm here to visit my boyfriend, Kurt Cobain." I said.
"Are you really his girlfriend?" She asked.
"Can you get Dave? He can tell you that I am." I said. She did something and David was downstairs within the few minutes. He hugged me.

"This young lady is claiming to be Kurt Cobain's current girlfriend." She said judgmentally.
"She is." Dave dragged me up after he said that. I heard the woman call for Billie Joe, and said it was only for immediate family. They only made an exception for Krist and Dave because his family wasn't there. Courtney was gone, and Krist had Frances on his lap. We were sitting in the hallway outside of his room.
"We aren't allowed inside." Krist said. I sat beside him and took the baby from him. She laid her head on my chest. I held her close to me.
The door to Kurt's room opened.
"You can visit him one at a time. He's awake." The doctor said.
"One of you can bring in his daughter if you'd like." He added.
"Ruby you can go first." Dave looked at Krist. I brought the baby into the room to see her father. I sat in the chair beside the bed as Kurt held Frances. He looked sickly and sad. I kissed his forehead. We were silent. We understood that everything was okay between us without words. I hugged him and then left so Krist and Dave could see him. Krist was last and brought the baby out.
"We have to leave him in there overnight." He said. I nodded reluctantly.
"Let's go home." I said.

We walked downstairs. Billie Joe was in the front room worriedly sitting.
"Is he ok?" He asked.
"He's fine." I said.
"Do you want to stay with us?" Dave asked.
"Nope. I'm going to stay with Billie Joe and his band in their hotel room. Dave nodded. He hugged me and Krist did the same.
"I'll see you guys tomorrow I guess." I said.
"Goodnight." Krist said.

We got into Billie's car.
"You know it was a suicide attempt right." He said.
"I wouldn't doubt it." I said.
"Dave found him." He added on. We carried on this sad conversation until we got to their hotel.
"I'm going to leave my stuff in the trunk." He nodded as he shut the car off.
"Okay." He said. We walked inside and into the room they were staying in. Tre was curled up in bed with a tub of chocolate ice cream watching some Johnny Depp movie. Mike was in the other bed reading.

"You can choose who you wanna share a bed with." Billie said. Tre gave me puppy dog eyes.
"Go get in Mike's bed." I told him. He pathetically trudged over and flopped onto Mike's bed. I got into the bed Billie Joe and I would be sharing and rolled over, I almost instantly fell asleep. I woke up briefly when Billie Joe rolled over and wrapped his arms around me, but I fell back asleep.