33

The next morning it was time for Kim and Wendy to return to Washington. They would then be replaced by one of Kurt's friends. I didn't know why we couldn't ever be without visitors. But after Kurt came home from taking his family to the airport and mentioned a girl, I got jealous for some reason.
"Kathleen?" I asked after his first statement.
"Yeah that's my friend. She's in Bikini Kill." He said.
"I see." I said. I laid on the couch with his kitten watching a dumb talk show.
"Totally. She'll be here tomorrow." He said. He sat down beside me on the couch.
"Can I ever just be alone?" I asked as I put on my shoes.
"Where are you going?" He asked.
"Away." I said.
"Have fun with Kathleen." I smiled. I walked out the door and shut it. I opened it again a few seconds later.
"I forgot my cigarettes." I said angrily. I went back outside after I had cigarettes.

I started walking towards River's apartment building. The sky was threatening, it began to rain. It was so hot that it evaporated once it hit the concrete. I didn't even care at that point. Once I was in the parking lot I looked for River's car. It was there, luckily. I went inside and knocked on his door. He opened it.
"Hello." He smiled and invited me in. I sat on his couch.
"Can I stay here?" I asked.
"Sure." He said.
"Do you need to change clothes?" He asked pointing at the fact that the sky hates me.
"Yeah." I laughed.

After I was dry we sat at his kitchen table talking. I explained the situation.
"Oh yeah, I've heard of her band before." He said.
"Don't worry." He said.
"I'm worrying still you didn't help." I laughed. He gave me a sympathetic look.
"If Kurt is going to be so possessive but then you think he's going to cheat or something that's not healthy." River said.
"But he fucked Courtney before we were together. You were there." I said.
"I have the misfortune to remember that." He smiled.
"It'll be fine." He reassured.

"So do you want to do anything today?" River asked as he broke the silence.
"Ah, no." I said. The phone rang and he got up.
"Hello?" He said to the person on the other end.
"Yeah she's here." He said again after a moment. A few seconds later he came back and sat beside me.
"It was Dave Grohl. He was worried about you." He said.
"That's good. I'm a grown adult I can take care of myself." I said.
"I know, but people worry despite that." He smiled. I nodded.
"So what are you doing for Halloween?" He asked.
"I don't know." I said.
"Are you going to dress up?" He smiled.
"Well clothes have already enslaved the world, so why not?" I laughed.
"That's a fun way to look at it."

We continued the awkward conversation for about an hour.
"Do you want to watch a movie?" River asked. I nodded, we went into his living room and he picked out some horror movie. He sat beside me and after a bit, I fell asleep.