56

Kurt and I left the house early that morning. At 6 am we got in our car and drove Bean to Kurt's mom's house in Olympia, then drove back to Seattle to the airport. We had to fly to LA, then we could fly to Paris. I slept most of the way, sleeping off all of my sadness. Kurt's head rested against the window and my head rested against his shoulder. When we got to LA we had to wait an hour. Kurt sighed as he put his bag on the floor.
"Can I talk to you?" He asked.
"Yeah." I said.
"Courtney wants custody of bean, and if she can pass the drug test, she'll get her." He said sadly. I looked down.
"I'm going to explore." I said biting my lip so I wouldn't cry. He nodded.
"Stay safe, be back soon." He said. I got up and walked around.
"Ruby!" I heard a familiar voice yell. I turned around. River was running for me full speed. He picked me up once he got to me and hugged me. His hair was slightly longer than the last time I had seen him in Seattle and he smelled like cigarette smoke.

"Why are you here?" River said with a smile.
"Kurt and I are going to Paris." I said sadly.
"Why are you sad about that?" He asked.
"He's losing his touch. I love him but I feel like he doesn't feel the same anymore. I guess marriage really does kill relationships." I sighed.
"Guess where I'm going for filming." He smiled.
"Paris!?" I asked excitedly. He nodded.
"Can we go see Kurt?" He asked. I shook my head.
"He's been acting off lately." I said. River frowned slightly. His tan skin looked warm to the touch. I ignored everyone around us, the rest turned to a blur. River ducked next to me and kissed my cheek. It wasn't romantic, more of a brotherly show of affection. 
"Want to go get coffee?" He asked. I nodded. We walked to a chain coffee place in the middle of the airport and got coffee. He checked his watch.

"We need to get back or we'll miss our flight." He said. We rushed back to the spot where we were supposed to be, where Kurt was sitting. When he saw me with River he tensed up. River sat on one side of Kurt and I sat on the other where I had been sitting before. Kurt suspiciously wrapped his arm around my shoulder, claiming me as his. He would flip if I told him what Rio had told me at his house a month prior.

When we got to Paris River insisted on getting us the room across the hall from his at the hotel his manager had booked. I wasn't complaining, but Kurt was suspicious of his intentions.
"I'm just worried you're gonna sneak off with him." He said as he threw his clothes around. I sighed. I walked out of the main room and into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I shut the door and turned on the shower. I stripped and got in. Kurt stuck his head in the door as I was washing my hair.
"I'm going to go explore." He said quietly.
"Bye." I said.
"Love you." He said happily.

I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair. I turned the water off and stepped out of the shower. I toweled off my hair. I wrapped a towel around myself and walked out of the bathroom and to my bag that rested on the dresser. There was a knock on the door.
"Who is it?" I asked.
"Rio." I heard River say. I wrapped the towel around myself more securely and opened the door. He came in and didn't even look at me.
"Where's Kurt?" He said as he flopped onto the bed Kurt and I would be sleeping in.
"'Exploring'" I said. I used air quotes with my fingers to expressed suspicion.
"Do you think that he's so suspicious of me because he's cheating and thinks you'd do it to him because he could do it to you?" He asked. My heart dropped. I valued Kurt more than I valued myself or anyone. I grabbed clothes and went into the bathroom to put them on. I came back out and River was still laying on the bed. I laid beside him and stared up at the ceiling.  He laid on his side facing me.
"Do you need some time away?" He asked. I looked over at him.
"Yeah." I said quietly.