81

After the hall cleared of everyone, the only people left were River and Courtney. The others were off eating or taking a smoke break. Courtney got up and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. Her roots grew through messy blond hair, her lips painted a daring cherry red. She was pretty, I could see why Kurt loved her.
"You know...." She said.
"You're not bad." she added. Initial and hatred and jealousy aside, she wasn't all that bad herself.

"They're demonizing you in magazines like they did to me. They can love and adore Kurt as much as they say. They can think he's a genius, but he's obviously not smart enough to know what's good for himself. They can trust every word he says but not trust his primal instincts with character judge. Don't let it get to you." She smiled letting her hand run down my arm, gently tugging at the sleeves of Billie's t-shirt. She hugged me again and then walked off. River looked over at me.

"They say so much shit in magazines." River said. I sat beside him in the hospital waiting room chairs. His eyes dug into the side of my face. I felt his hand carefully nearing mine and then his pointer finger hooking against my own.
"They act like we are public domain. Like we are just cartoon characters with no feelings. Nothing we can feel for each other could possibly be real. I didn't ask to be in the spotlight." I sighed.
"Maybe it's bad for you..." He started.
"If you, you know, choose to be with me, we can go back to Florida with my family and be hermits." He smiled quietly. He squeezed my hand and I looked over at him. His hands were soft, like a woman's. I leaned my head on his shoulder and he sighed.
"We've got a love triangle. A real life one." I said quietly.

I knew, I couldn't have either. Too much fame on both ends. Kurt, a rockstar, River, an actor. I had a choice to make.

Their love, or the stress of the spotlight.