Chapter 138: Merpeople Pt.1

If you like what you see and what more, please drop a Vote, or leave a comment, and a bookmarking it would mean the world to me!

And you can find advance chapters, commission art, and more bonus content on my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/Mark_Ward Your support would go a long way in helping me do what I do time, thanks!

--------------------------

The Hogwarts staff, demonstrating a continued desire to impress their visitors from the other schools, seemed determined to show the castle at its best this Christmas. When the decorations went up, Harry noticed that they were the most stunning he had yet seen inside the school.

Everlasting icicles had been attached to the banisters of the marble staircase; the usual twelve Christmas trees in the Great Hall were bedecked with everything from luminous holly berries to real, hooting, golden owls, and the suits of armor had all been bewitched to sing carols whenever anyone passed them.

It was quite something to hear "O Come, All Ye Faithful" sung by an empty helmet that only knew half the words. Several times, Filch the caretaker had to extract Peeves from inside the armor, where he had taken to hiding, filling in the gaps in the songs with lyrics of his own invention, all of which were very rude.

Poor Nevile was getting very nervous now as he couldn't form up the courage to ask someone yet. Terry was brave enough to ask a fellow Ravenclaw to the ball who accepted to his relief.

"I suppose there's always Moaning Myrtle," he said gloomily, referring to the ghost who haunted the girls' toilets on the second floor.

"You just got to grit our teeth and do it," Harry comforted his friend. "When we get back to the common room tonight, I will ask for a partner for you, if you can't do it yourself," Harry grinned.

"You wouldn't... would you," Neville said disbelievingly.

"Then you better ask someone you like," Harry said, "or else I will pick a random one for you! Can't have a mate go alone!"

"It's not that hard really, Neville," George called as he and Fred sat down at the table with them.

"You'd better hurry up, mate, or all the good ones will be gone," Fred messed around with Neville's hair.

"Who're you going with, then?" Neville asked.

"Angelina Johnson," Fred said promptly, without a trace of embarrassment.

"Alicia Spinnet," George answered as well.

"What?" Neville said, taken aback. "You've already asked them? I could have sworn you don't... "

"Good point," George and Fred said as they nodded their head at each other. He turned his head and called across the common room, "Oi! Angelina!" Angelina, who had been chatting with Alicia, looked over at him.

"What?" she called back.

"Want to come to the ball with me?" Angelina gave Fred an appraising sort of look. "All right, then," she said, she said with a shrug.

"What about you, Alicia," George called out.

"Why not," brown haired Chaser smiled. "But you boys must not think about playing any pranks, or else it's the side lines with you two."

"Wouldn't dream about it," George shouted back as the two of them got back to their discussions.

"There you go," Fred said to Neville who had his mouth hanging wide open and his eyes nearly popping out, "piece of cake." He got to his feet, yawning, and said, "We'd better start coming up with some good pranks for the ball, couples do need something to remember that night for!"