Chapter 25: The Roost Pt. 2

Jumping out of the undergrowth where six beasts, they had the hook becks of a bird of prey, with tiny upturned tusks, horns jutting out of their heads, and prominent feathered ears. Their fur was a mix of yellow and brown spots, and with none of the wings of its other kin. Yet spins protrude all over their back like that of a porcupine, with the front feet of an eagle, and the back feet of a lion.

The creatures where as large as the biggest breed of dogs, the Great Dane, as they stood three-quarters the height of an average man. They didn't look the most friendly of lot as they growled and pranced before him ready to go on the attack.

Without any delay, Harry put up Protego spell around himself, he knew what these creatures were, they were the one kind of Griffin-kin that Tobry told him to avoid at all cost.

The Keythong.

Keythong were the most vicious and cruel of the Griffin like beasts that his family reared. They act as the attack dogs and scots of his house. Send them out to hunt down a wizard, and they would sniff him out and tear him from limb to limb.

However, the hold that his family has on them is very tentative at best. A creature's nature can never be changed no matter what sort of compulsion or bond you have with it.

Just as he was about to discipline the rabid creatures that bite the hand that feeds you, a white and light brown furball came reeling into the opening. Butting its head against the closest Keythong which stunned it, then smacking away the second Keythong that came to the defense of its packmate.

The furball stood menacingly before the remaining Keythong. It stood tall with its eyes narrowed into slits, its tail standing on end, and most importantly right before him at his defense.

Comparing the two creatures was like that of a massive lion and four scranny street cats. They yipped and pranced all they wanted to but they did not dare attack the Demigryph.

Finally, after a brief confrontation, the Keythong slowly back up dragging away their slightly dazed packmates. Once Harry was sure the vicious little pack of Keythong were gone, he came up to the Demigryph and scratched his neck and ear. "Ow, you did not have to do that buddy."

Chirping in answer as it leaned it head in for him to get the best spots, Harry whispered to him, "I am sorry, I shooed you away buddy. I just wanted you to be safe."

Whining as it gave him the puppy eyes, Harry begrudgingly added, "You can come with me if you want."

Wagging its tail like a dog, Harry softly chucked as nipped at him affectionately. He quickly had to dodge as that sharp beck was like that of a bear trap. Still, he comforted it with scratches especially behind its ears where it liked it.

"Alright let's go," Harry said as he led the way forward, however, he came to a stop when the big furball didn't follow him. Turning around, Harry looked at the magical beast in confusion and asked, "What wrong, buddy? Don't you want to come with me?"

Whimpering the Demigryph pointed down and he looked over in confusion at its front paws. COming over he looked again at its powerful lion feet and asked, "Is there something wrong with your legs."

Nodding it head up and down, Harry held out his hands and instructed, "Alright, let me see."

Raising its powerful right foot which he noted it used to smack away the Keythong, it rested it on his palms and turned it around until he could see the sole of its feet.

Right away he spotted what was wrong as he saw two spins lodged into its paws. Taking a sharp intake of breath harry finally understood what was wrong. Keythong are very hard creatures to hurt physically since their spins cover most of their body. To get to it you will need to deal with its spins which are very painful and most importantly coated in very deadly poison as well.