Somebody's watching

Episode: 1x18

It was just the two of them. Somehow, it was always the two of them. Lily finished taking notes on her last file and as soon as she dropped the pen, she yawned. She reached for her phone and flinched at the sudden light from the device. It was almost ten. She reached in her drawer for her keys, and looked up, just in time to see Spencer looking over at the magazine for the hundredth time.

"Okay there, Spence?" She asked, causing the boy to almost jump in his seat. She giggled. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay." He smiled gently. "What time is it?" He asked, as he noticed her gathering her things.

"Late. Quarter to ten." She answered, closing her purse and getting up. "Wanna a ride?"

"Yeah, sure. Just... Let me fix some things up..." He mumbled and Lily raised her eyebrow at the hesitance he showed in putting the magazine away.

Without being discreet about it, she glanced at the cover only to see a picture of Spencer and Lila and the headline 'a new love in Lila's life?' right in the center of it.

"Media is fast." She said.

Spencer looked up at her and frowned. She nodded toward the magazine.

"Oh, yeah." He whispered. When he closed his briefcase, he sighed and leaned against his chair. "Did you know she... She kissed me? In the pool, I mean?"

"I figured." Lily shrugged, leaning against her desk. "There should be a reason as to why you were in the pool when you should be working, anyway."

"That's the point..."

"I didn't mean to say that you weren't doing your job, Spence, I'm..."

"No, it's not that." He interrupted her. "She was... She was kissing me and well... I was telling her about transference and how she was probably just in love with me because I was there to protect her and..."

"Spence..." Lily shook her head. "You were her hero."

"I'd like to think that, but I..."

"You took down an unsub unarmed." Lily smiled at him. "That's being a hero for me."

Spencer looked up at her and smiled. She looked down at the magazine and so did he.

"Have you ever felt like you wanted to be with someone for more than one night?" He asked suddenly and Lily lifted her head, with a frown.

"What?"

"I mean... It's just that..." Spencer lifted his eyes to meet hers. "I've never seen you with anyone before and I..."

"That's probably because I've never actually been with anyone, Spence." She admitted. She knew he was about to apologize, but she didn't feel like he needed to, so, instead, she spoke up again. "Listen... I think it's great that you've felt that for Lila, really do. But see... This job we have, it takes all of our time. It's hard to keep a relationship in the same city, let alone in distance."

"So... You're saying that you don't think I should... You don't think I should call her."

"I'm saying that I don't think it's prudent. But it's also your call, Spence. You do what you want to do." She shrugged. Lily picked up her purse and messed with Spencer's hair as she walked past him. "I'll wait in my car until ten. If you're not with me till then, I'll leave you behind."

Spencer chuckled as he watched his friend make her way out of the BAU unit and toward the elevator. He grabbed all his things and dropped them in his briefcase. When he looked back and noticed Lily was nowhere to be seen, he picked up the magazine again. With a sigh he threw it in the trash can beside his desk. He picked up his briefcase and got up, but before leaving, he looked at the trash can again.

He picked the magazine up from the trash and placed it on his drawer instead.

Just in case.