Date night

Date night - Part 1 (Episode: 15x06)

"Psychotics, say what you want about them, tend to make the first move." - David Foster Wallace.

"Well, this is nice." Lily smiled gently as she sat across from Spencer in a restaurant in one of the few days the two of them had a day off together.

"It's been a while since we've done this, hasn't it?" Spencer smiled back at her as she nodded.

"Well, in between our work that is never truly done and a three-year-old toddler, it's no surprise we haven't been able to have a proper date in a while." Lily shrugged. "I still want to go to the movies, eventually, but a lunch break with you just a few meters away from the bureau is fine too, I guess."

Spencer laughed then. He wasn't sure what movie exactly it was that Lily wanted to see - for what he had seen it, there wasn't anything interesting really going on - but he figured she just missed the feeling of going to the movies like a normal person.

"We will." Spencer promised. "Maybe we can leave Alec with George for one night and we can have a proper date night then. The movies, dinner, a good night of sleep."

"Oh, I miss a good night of sleep." Lily giggled as Spencer just smiled. And she did. But she didn't even mean it because of Alec - he was actually a pretty good sleeper - but with all the cases back to back that the BAU was having, Lily, more than anyone, was having a lot of work to do, going through all the files and sorting out which case they'd be getting and which one they wouldn't. "Georgie is out of town now, though. I think he went to New Orleans with Troy and won't be back until the weekend."

"Him and Troy are very serious now, aren't they?" Spencer asked, as Lily nodded. "I mean, they've been going out almost as long as we have."

"Yeah." She nodded. "But they don't want to get married. They like the idea of being boyfriends forever. They think is kind of romantic, I suppose."

"It is, in a way." Spencer nodded.

"Yeah, it is." Lily nodded, taking another bite of her food before hearing the so familiar ringtone of her cellphone and sighing when she reached for it. "Come on..."

"We've got a case?" Spencer asked, already calling over an waitress to ask her for the bill.

"Yeah." Lily frowned a little as she read the text she had gotten from Penelope a few moments before. "Yeah, and it's gonna be a rough one."

***

"Catch us up." Spencer said, as soon as he and Lily walked into the conference room that afternoon.

"Early this morning, Garcia got an email from an anonymous server." Emily said, wasting no time in showing the two youngest agents the picture the unsub had sent Penelope.

Lily looked it over, taking in any small details she possibly could. There were two people tied up to chairs by their ankles, arms and torso with a dark bag over their faces to cover them up. Judging by their built, Lily could only assume it was a man a woman and if the way their finger stretched to try and touch one another was anything to go by, Lily knew they were familiar with each other - maybe even a couple? Behind them, there was a man - built, big, threatening. He had a ski mask over his face for anonymity and he held a gun in hand but, at least when the picture was taken, he wasn't pointing it at the victims.

"Any ideas on the victims or unsub?" Lily asked, as Rossi shook his head.

"No." He said. "Only the unsub's demand. That we release Catherine Adams in 24 hours."

Just her name made a chill run up and down Lily's back, but she stayed put, showing no emotion as Emily and Rossi watched her and Spencer with hawk-like eyes.