Reflection of desire

Episode: 6x08

"Scottley." Hotch called, causing the young woman to look up from the files in her hands. "We need a press conference."

"Yeah, sure, I'll arrange it." She nodded, reaching for her phone and getting up.

Hotch nodded. When he offered her the liaison position a few weeks ago, he never thought she would adapt so well. She was good picking out cases and even better providing anything and everything the team needed during their stay in other states. He actually thought, even though he would never admit it out loud, that in a few months, she could actually become as good as JJ was. But today, it was going to be a real test for her.

"You know a press conference means you'll have to talk, don't you?" Morgan pointed out, before Lily could leave the room where her team was standing.

She froze. She hadn't thought about it. She turned around and faced Hotch. Her boss only nodded. She took a deep breath.

"Okay. One worry at a time. Let me fix a press conference and then I'll worry about that part." She whispered before finally leaving, her phone already calling for the most important papers in town.

"You think she's ready?" Emily asked.

"She has to be." Hotch said, and the rest of the team exchanged glances, even if they knew their boss was right.

***

"Okay." Lily said, as she and her team watched everyone set up a stage on the train station. "They'll be here in ten minutes. Are you sure this is a good idea?" She whined, turning to Hotch.

"All you have to do is stay calm." He said, ignoring her question. "Don't let the room control you."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Keep your answers short and to the point. Don't comment on Kelly's case, just focus on Penny."

"I'm not good at this. I don't like doing things I'm not good at. Look, when I accepted this role, I totally forgot about this part. I'm not good with crowds. I never was."

"You're fine with us, doll." Morgan pointed out, as Emily nodded.

"Because I'm safe with you." She retorted. "Can't say the same about those... Blood thirsty journalists." She whisper-yelled, pointing at the already forming crowd around the stage. "This scares me more than chasing down unsubs."

"Lillian, look at me." Hotch demanded. The use of her full name made her frown and turn to her boss instantly. "We need him to see a face and a character he recognizes."

"He likes blondes. I'm red."

"We can change that." Emily said, giving her a package that most likely contained a wig.

"Toward the end, Reid is going to hand you a note." Hotch continued. "Take a moment, let the room settle and when you have everyone's attention, read it out. You'll do fine."

"You'll be great, Red." Rossi assured, as everyone left, except for Spencer.

"You okay?" He asked, as he stepped closer to her. She took a shaky breathe.

"I can't do that."

"Yes, you can." He reassured. "I'm going to be there with you the whole time, I promise."

"Oh, I miss JJ..." She whispered.

Spencer laughed and pulled her closer to him, in a hug. She sneaked her arms around him and stood there for a moment.

"You'll do fine, Lily. Don't worry."

She pulled away from him and nodded, reaching inside the bag to pull out a blonde wig. She pulled her hair up as Spencer took the wig off her shaky hands and placed it over her head, making sure that it was correctly put. She smiled as he brushed the fringe out of her face and when she looked him in the eyes, something changed. A funny feeling in the pitch of her stomach as he smiled back at her. But she blamed it on the nerves.