If the shoe fits

Episode: 10x06

Lily's head snapped in JJ's direction when she picked up her phone. She put it on speaker so both women, Spencer and the Detective could hear.

"Hey, Hotch. What do you got?"

"Claire Dunbar is not at her house. We think she might be at the Cypress Memorial Cemetery." He answered.

"That's right next to Bonner Mount." The Detective said.

"You're closer to the location than we are."

"Right, we're on our way." JJ nodded.

"Wait." Lily called, before they could end the call. "Hotch. Is Dunbar as obsessed with fairy tales as we profiled?"

"Yes, why?"

"Then I have an idea."

JJ and Spencer frowned, but allowed the woman to rush into another room to grab whatever it was she needed for her plan to work. When she exited the Station, they were all already waiting for her in the car, vests on. She climbed in the backseat with Spencer and threw Claire's shoe that she had left at the last crime scene in his lap, as he helped her in her vest with the moving car.

"What is the shoe for?" JJ asked, when she glanced back seeing it was Detective Carpenter who was driving the car.

"Dunbar thinks she's Cinderella, guys." She said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "We just have to show her the perfect gentleman. The one who kept her shoe after a perfect night just because he wanted to find his perfect girl."

"That's what the shoe is for?" Spencer asked. "You want us to pretend she's actually Cinderella?"

"I want you to pretend she's actually Cinderella." She corrected. "Take off the vest."

"What?"

"Don't worry." She shook her head. "JJ and I will have you covered. Just... Tell her about a ball and that you've been searching the whole town for her, because you are just so in love, then show her the shoe and I swear she'll go willingly with you anywhere."

Detective Carpenter frowned at JJ, but the Agent just smirked.

"It might actually work." She said.

"It will." Lily reassured.

"It's a good thing you're not the jealous type, isn't it, Lily?"

"Shut up, Jareau."

***

When they arrived the Cemetery, JJ and Lily jumped off the car and took cover, pointing their guns at Claire Dunbar, who was ready to attack another young man when Spencer called out for her.

"Excuse me." He said. "May I approach?"

"Who are you?" Claire yelled angrily, spinning around to face him. "Go away!"

"Just give me the chance to speak." He asked, stepping closer carefully. "I've looked for so long..."

"What?" She frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"I've searched this whole town trying to find the right person. Are you the right person? The dance... The other evening, remember?"

"The dance?" She asked, meekly, dropping the scissor she was holding in the attempt to kill Chris Jensen.

"I met the most beautiful girl I've seen in my whole life." Spencer said, and even if she knew it was all an act – an act that she had insisted in pulling herself – her hold on her gun tightened just slightly. "We danced the whole night and then... She was gone. But... She left this behind."

As soon as he pulled out the shoe from the bag he was carrying, Claire took a few careful steps toward him.

"May I?" He asked gently, as he kneeled down in front of her, placing the shoe carefully in her foot.

As soon as it fit, her whole face light up. Spencer looked up at her and kissed her hand as she beamed.

"I brought the carriage." He said.

"You did?" She asked.

"It's waiting for us."

She smiled when Spencer got back up to his feet and grabbed her hand in his, guiding Claire toward the car. JJ smiled and put her gun down, as Lily did the same, before running off to Jensen.

"Are you okay?" She asked, as he groaned.

"What the hell just happened?"

"Don't worry. The medics are on their way."

***

"It wasn't true, you know that, don't you?" Spencer asked, as he took the seat in front of Lily's on the jet back home.

"I know." She nodded, as she took another bite of her chocolate, looking out the window.

"It was an act and it was your idea." He continued.

"I know." She repeated, before looking at him. "It was a plan. And it worked. It just... It felt weird seeing you say all those things to another woman."

"It felt weird for me to say those things too." He said. "You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, you know that?"

At that, Lily giggled, licking her lips when the melted chocolate tinted them. She leaned forward on the table in between them and smiled.

"You really are a gentleman, Spencer Reid. My prince charming."

"Have you been waiting for me too?" He asked, a small smirk playing on his lips as she laughed.

"All my life."