Nameless, faceless

Episode: 5x01

As Lily, Spencer and Doctor Barton went through his files of surgeries as Emily went to get Hotch in his house, Lily's phone rang.

"Em?"

"Lily, I need to tell you something, but I need you to stay calm." She said.

"Okay."

"Hotch's not at his house."

"What?"

"What's happening?" Doctor Barton asked, as Lily signalized she needed time. Spencer frowned at her. "Is this about Jeffrey?"

"No, it's hum... Completely unrelated." She answered.

"Then why are you getting this call?"

"I'm really sorry, Doctor Barton, but this is important."

"What could be more important than Jeffrey right now?" He angrily threw his papers on the table, as he left the room. Lily looked at Spencer and he nodded, getting up to calm Doctor Barton down.

"Tell me what happened." Lily said, back on the phone.

"There's a huge hole in the wall." Emily started, wasting no time. Probably a .44, but there's no blood or tissue sprayed around it. If he was shot, there are no dragging marks, but the body could've been wrapped in something."

"Techs are on their way?" Lily asked.

"Any second now."

"Okay. Hum, take notes on everything you see and we'll profile from that when you get back."

"Okay. How is Doctor Barton?" She asked.

Lily turned to face him, already more calm as Spencer talked to him in another room.

"It's a huge list of cases to go through." She sighed.

"Okay, don't worry about here, I've got this, just stay focused."

"Okay, you too."

She hung up the phone and sighed.

"Doctor Barton? Doctor Reid?" She called, as both man entered the room once again. "I'm sorry about this. Agent Prentiss got called away in an emergency."

"You've got to be kidding me." Doctor Barton said, quite angrily.

"I'm really sorry." She shook her head, more to Spencer than to Doctor Barton. "But I'm confident we can do this."

"Yeah." Spencer nodded, even ifhe still kept stealing glances at his tired and obviously unsettled co-worker."Yeah, we can."

***

After finally narrowing down the list and defining the unsub as Patrick Meyers, father of a DOA kid, Doctor Barton was calm enough to leave the room in peace.

"What happened?" Spencer asked, as soon as Barton left the room. Lily sighed. "What was the emergency? Is Emily okay?"

"Emily's fine." She assured. "But Hotch's not."

"What do you mean?"

"He wasn't in his apartment and there was blood in there. Emily and Garcia are looking for him. I'm sure he's fine."

Spencer was about to say something else, but Barton appeared on the door, putting on a jacket.

"Where are you going?" Spencer asked, as both young Doctors turned to the older man.

"The note said not to change my routine and I always pickup Jeffrey in my days off." He answered.

"Let us come with you." Spencer said, as he got up from the couch.

Lily did the same, but before she could leave the house with the men, her cell phone rang again.

"Em." She answered.

"L.C., from the unsub's note stands for 'living children'." The woman said on the other side of the line."

"Are you sure?" She frowned.

"It's administrative. It's when they are afraid the patient is gonna go on life support and they don't have a resurrection order."

"Oh God..."

"Lily?"

"What if the unsub was trying to tell Doctor Burton that he is actually the target? And that he's gonna leave a son without a father."

There was when she heard the gunshot.

"Spencer!" She yelled, as she pickup her gun and ran outside, just in time to place herself between the unsub and an injured Spencer Reid in front of Doctor Burton.

"Lily? Answer me! Lily!" Emily yelled through the phone, long forgotten in the yard.

Spencer reached for it and asked Emily to call for the authorities.

"Are you okay, Reid?" She asked, in desperation. Everything was falling apart today.

"I'm fine. I got shot in the leg, but I'm good."

"I'll send some ambulances as well. And what about Lily?" She asked, as Spencer lifted his eyes toward the woman in front of him.

"She's fine for now."

"Drop the gun!" She yelled, as Patrick Meyers approached her.

"Don't protect him!" He yelled back.

"Drop the gun, Meyers!"

"He killed my son!"

"He did not kill your son! Your son was killed in a car accident! I'm really sorry for it, Mr. Meyers, but I just need you to drop the gun now. You don't want to do this. You don't want to hurt anybody. Please... Put the gun down."

The sirens were heard down the street. Patrick was shaking and sobbing. Lily was standing strong, her gun pointed toward his torso.

"I don't want to shoot you." She said. "Please, don't make me do it."

"I'm sorry..." He cried, but before he could do anything, Lily pulled the trigger.

As he fell to the ground, Doctor Burton ran toward him as Lily ran toward Spencer.

"Throw his gun away, Doctor Burton. Make sure it's out of his reach!" She instructed as she kneeled beside Spencer, looking at his injure. It didn't seem that bad.

"I'm fine, go to Meyers." He hissed, as she took off her jacket to press on his knee.

"He's okay. He's with a doctor." She dismissed him. He chuckled as the paramedics came to him.

"So am I." He said, as Lily giggled.

"You know what I meant." She said, as she entered the ambulance with him.

"You shouldn't have stand between us." He said as she rolled her eyes.

"Don't be stupid, Spence." She smiled. "There's not much I wouldn't do for you."

He blushed and turned his face to the side, but thankfully, it was covered up by a flinch of his for when a medic looked at his knee.

"Your name, sir?" He asked, as the ambulance took off to the closest hospital.

"Doctor Spencer Reid." He said, with a groan.

"And you, Miss?"

"Agent Lillian Scottley. We're the FBI. I'll be accompanying him, is that alright?" She asked, as Spencer smiled at her.

The paramedic nodded.

"Yes, ma'am."