Lucky

Episodes: 3x08/09

"I can't believe he actually made food out of the woman and gave it to us." Emily shivered for what felt like the hundredth time.

"I can't believe I actually ate it." JJ whimpered.

"We all did, Jay. We couldn't have known." Lily tried to ease the situation, as she reached for her phone in her bag. "It doesn't make it any better, I guess, but..."

She opened her message and smiled as she saw it was from Penelope.

Queen: You're already on the jet back home?

Penelope, almost across the country, smiled as she saw her best friend's reply.

Pup: Yep. Almost there. Can we meet up? Need someone to talk to.

Queen: Oh, I'm sorry, pup, but I can't tonight. Sorta have a date?

Lily gasped, and squealed as she reread the text. Did the one and only Penelope Garcia have a date that she didn't tell her about? The team stared at her confused, but as they saw the youngest member of team smiling and furiously texting away in her phone, they thought they had all figured out.

"Oh... Does little Lily has a boyfriend we don't know about?" Morgan teased as Lily rolled her eyes. Spencer lifted his eyes from the poker game he was having with Derek. Even Hotch and Rossi started paying attention to the conversation.

"Mind your own business, handsome." She retorted, without even looking up at him.

Emily and JJ snickered as they turned to Lily. Rossi even smirked.

"Oh, come on, Lily... Give us some specifics." The brunette pleaded. Lily shook her head.

"I don't have a boyfriend, guys." She said.

"Sure you don't." JJ scoffed.

"You shut up, miss Jareau. You don't want me spilling the beans on how you're interested in one William LaMontagne, now, do you?"

"What?" She gasped, as everyone's attention turned to her. "How did you know?"

"Lucky guess." She shrugged, before finally being left alone to return to her conversation with Penelope.

Pup: Who's the lucky guy? Can't believe you didn't tell me about this. I'm hurt. :(

Queen: Sorry, it just happened so fast... He's a guy I met at a coffee shop the other day. I'm so nervous, Lily.

Pup: Don't be. You're going to be alright. And if he does anything to you, I'll be going after him.

Queen: hahaha. Promise?

Pup: Promise.

Queen: He'll be here any second. Gotta go. Wish me luck.

Pup: Luck is the one thing you don't need. Go get him, Tiger ;)

Queen: Bye, pup, love ya.

And that was the last she would hear of Penelope that day. Or so she thought.

***

Lily groaned as she heard her phone ringing. She turned in her bed as she reached for it. Maybe it was Penelope wanting to talk all about her date. She sat up straight and frowned as she saw the name in the screen: JJ. They couldn't have another case, already. They'd just returned home.

"Jay?" She asked, trying to cover up the sleep on her voice.

"Lily..." She breathed out. She seemed nervous. Lily was up in a heartbeat as she heard her friend's voice cracking. "It's Penelope."

"What about her?" Lily asked, already up, picking up a hoodie to throw over her pajamas.

"She got shot." She cried.

"What?"

"She's in the Hospital, Lily. Hotch and I are here. She's in surgery."

"Surgery?" Lily gulped, as she picked up the keys to her car.

"Come quick. I've called Spencer. Can you pick him up on your way?"

"Sure, sure." She nodded, even though JJ couldn't see. "Give me 20."

"Okay. I'll call Emily, now." She said, before hanging up the call.

She opened her car door and started it, before opening her conversation with Spencer.

Lily: Be ready. Be there in 10.

Spence: Already downstairs.

She left her apartment's garage and drove to Spencer's house, that so happened to be just a few blocks down from hers. Trying to drive consciously was hard that night. With her tiredness and lack of sleep, but mostly, because her head couldn't stop thinking of the worst possible scenarios that one of her best friends could be going through.

***

Even with Spencer in the car, the ride to the hospital was quiet. Awfully so. Pulling up in the parking lot, the two youngest members of the BAU ran inside. JJ's bright blonde hair called Spencer attention, so he grabbed a hold of Lily's hand and they made their way toward her.

"How's she?" Lily asked, as JJ hugged her tight.

"All I know is that she is in surgery. They won't give any more information." She cried.

"It's okay, Jay... Penny's strong... She'll make it through." Lily whispered as she sat JJ down in the waiting room. Emily arrived and sat down beside the liaison as Lily made her way toward Spencer. "Right? She'll be okay, right?" She asked, as he gulped.

"You're right, Lily..." He cooed, pulling her in a tight embrace. "Penelope's strong. She'll be fine."

"She can't die, Spence..." Lily's muffled sobs were almost not understandable against his shirt, but he didn't dare to move. "She's my best friend, I need her."

"I know..." He whispered, playing slightly with her hair. "And she does too."

***

After about four hours, with Morgan finally there, the team was allowed to see Penelope. Knowing the bond they both shared, JJ let Lily walked inside in front of her, and as soon as she saw her best friend tied to wires and tubes, she restarted crying.

"Oh, no tears..." Penelope tiredly said, as Lily bend down to give her a kiss.

"How are you feeling?" Morgan asked, standing on the other side of the bed.

"Confused..." She answered, turning to face him. "Stupid, and in pain."

"Are you up for some questions?" Lily asked, gripping her hand slightly.

"I never saw it coming." She admitted, turning to look at the red headed. "He seemed... Deliciously normal."

"You know him?" Spencer frowned.

"You were right." She said, referring to Morgan, again. "I shouldn't have trusted it."

"What are you talking about?" He asked, as realization hit Lily.

"It was the guy." She said. "The one you were going a date with?"

"Yeah. The one from the coffee shop. I ended up believing he was interested in me."

"Forget that." Morgan sighed.

"I let my guard down..." She continued, as if she wasn't interrupted.

"Do you have any idea why he would've done this?" Emily asked.

"Did he threatened you? Did he want something?" Spencer pushed.

"I just thought he liked me." Her voice cracked as she breathed heavily.

"Alright..." JJ whispered. "We're gonna come back in a while."

"We need a name." Emily said.

"James Colby Baylor." Penelope promptly responded.

They all nodded and left. Now all they had to do was catch whoever did this to Penelope and everything would come back to be exactly as it always was.