Minimal Loss

Episode: 4x03

Lily jumped as she heard the door of the room she and Spencer were being held snap open. The leader of the community and another man walked in.

"Which one of you is it?" He asked, as they both frowned. What was he talking about? He stood in between them and pulled out a gun. "Which one of you is the FBI agent?"

"Why do you think one of us is an FBI agent?" Spencer asked.

The community leader, Benjamin Cyrus, sighed.

"God will forgive me for what I must do." He said, pointing his gun to Spencer.

Lily pulled in a sharp breath. Her mind racing with possibilities.

"I don't... I don't know what you're talking about." Spencer insisted.

"One of you does." The man shrugged. "Who is it?"

Without thinking twice, Lily breathed out:

"Me." She said. Spencer glanced at her, but she didn't dare to look in his eyes, because she knew he would be trying to stop her. "It's me."

The community leader put away his gun and harshly grabbed Lily by her hair, before dragging her out of the room. Spencer tried to do something, but the other man pointed his gun at him. He gulped as he watched Lily being dragged away, whimpering in pain.

She didn't know where she was, but as soon as Cyrus locked the door, she knew she was in trouble. He wasted no time in hitting and kicking her and as much as she tried not to make a sound, the pain was too much. She knew he was talking to her, but as he threw her around, she couldn't focus on anything but the pain in her stomach and arms. But she also knew her team was outside and that they could listen. They were good. Of course they had taps all over the place. So as he punched her again, she lifted her head up high and said:

"I can take it."

"Oh, yeah?" He challenged, as he kicked her once more.

She groaned, but she hoped her team would understand. They couldn't get in. Not with that many lives at risk. Not with hers and Spencer's lives at risk. So with one last moment of awareness, she spat out again:

"I can take it."

And with a last punch, it all went black.

***

As Lily stood at the back of the church as Cyrus held a meeting with the community, she tried not to look around. She knew Spencer would be there and he didn't need to her like this. Hurt and bruised. But he did anyway. And as soon as his eyes landed on her, he gasped, walking toward the woman.

"He looks pissed." She said, referring to Cyrus. Once she got no response, she looked at him and sighed as she saw his face. "It's not as bad as it looks."

"I'm so sorry." He whispered.

"There's nothing for you to be sorry about." She assured, before looking at the crowd. "Look at who he's releasing."

"It's the ones who didn't pass the loyalty test." He said. "I'll get word to the team. Wait for a sign from outside indicating what time they'll come." He whispered.

Lily barely nodded, but Spencer didn't need more than that. He could tell she understood and was already planning how to communicate with the team without being caught. He went to talk to Cyrus and seconds later, a man was taking her back to the room she was staying. With one last glance at each other, they both went their separate ways.

***

After finally being able to get a signal from the team and gather all the women from the community, Lily managed to get away, but as soon as she and all the women did, there was an explosion.

"Spence." She whispered as she realized he was still inside. "Morgan. Spencer!"

After about half a second of despair, she saw both of them walking out of the building, coughing and limping, but otherwise alright. She let out a sigh of relief, before walking up the stairs to meet Spencer halfway in a hug.

"I thought you were dead..." She whispered as he held her tight against him.

"I'm okay." He assured. "Are you?"

Lily pulled away from him and smiled.

"I'm good."

***

After being checked in the ambulances, Morgan, Spencer and Lily were released. On the trip from the community to the jet, Spencer did everything he could to avoid Lily, including going with Morgan and Rossi in their car instead of with Lily and Hotch. They both made small talk, but she could see her boss was worried. And he had a reason to. Her lip was cut, her right eye was purple and her stomach was all bandaged.

As soon as they got to the jet, Hotch made sure Lily was comfortable on the sofa, before giving her an ice pack. Spencer, still not sure how to act, sat down on the chair next to her, but avoided eye contact as he read a book. Having enough of it, Lily sat up and took off the ice pack from her eye.

"Hey." She called.

"Hey." He whispered back, even if he didn't put his book down.

Lily reached over and placed a hand on his arm, caressing his skin lightly.

"I need you to listen to me." She said. He reluctantly placed the book down on the table and turned to face her. "What Cyrus did to me was not your fault, you understand? It was my choice, and I'd do it a thousand times more just to make sure you are safe. Don't blame yourself, Spencer, promise me."

He sighed, before picking up the ice pack and sitting down on the sofa.

"I promise." He whispered once more, as he allowed her to lean against him as she held the ice on her eye once more.

Hereached out for his book and restarted reading. Lily smiled as she finally feltherself drifting off to sleep, feeling safe for the first time in hours.