Pay it foward

Episode: 8x19

"Do we have a case?" JJ asked, as Spencer notified her that Hotch had asked them all to reunite on the Conference Room.

"I guess so." The young genius nodded.

"Yes, you do have a case."

When they heard her voice, they all cut the chit-chat and looked up, just to see Lily standing right in front of the small TV, files distributed on the table, remote in hand. Rossi and Hotch were already there, but they both knew Lily was coming back to work that day.

"Lily!" JJ cheered, as she ran across the room to engulf her friend in a tight, yet careful, hug. "Are you back already?"

"Yeah." She nodded, with a smile.

"What happened to your voice?" Blake asked, noticing how much it had actually changed.

"Hemorrhage of the vocal chords." She said simply. "I stayed in vocal rest for three days and started a speech therapy, but the doctor said I could go back to talking. She also said I shouldn't force it too much, though, if I want it to go back to what it was."

"What about the ankle? I thought the Doctor had said six weeks of rest?" Morgan smirked as he sat down, after hugging her as well.

"He did." Lily shrugged. "But I've told him I couldn't stay at home for another day and he gave me the okay."

"Did he really?" Spencer frowned, as Lily smirked at him.

"Unlike you, Dr. Reid, I don't lie to my superiors about medical instructions."

Everyone laughed as Spencer rolled his eyes, but smiled either way. Even Blake, who wasn't present that time three years ago when Reid lied about being authorized to fly after getting shot on the leg, chuckled slightly.

"What about therapy?" JJ asked, as Lily's smile faded and she bit her lip.

"I'm working on it." She said, gently. "But I guess occupying my mind for a while will help."

"You did this for your mom and Oliver, Lily, and..."

"It worked." Lily interrupted Morgan, quite harshly. "I've healed and went back to what I was. Granted, this time it's a whole different story, but I've been away for three months. It's enough time for me and that should be enough for you. Now... Can we talk about the case?"

Derek glanced at Spencer, who only shrugged. If it was up to him, Lily wouldn't be working. Her ankle wasn't completely healed, she wasn't sleeping right and her psyche was completely broken. But in the other hand, he knew her. She would only heal if she took her mind off of it all. And what better way to do this than to go back to work? Plus, Hotch and Rossi had given her the okay, so who was he to object?

"Okay, so... Two days ago the head that once belonged to Wade Burke, 23, rolled out of a time capsule on Bronson Springs, Colorado..."

***

As Lily read over and over again the statement in her hands, she finally figured out what was bothering her. She collected the files and, messily, got up with the help of the crutches, walking out of the room to meet Spencer, Blake, Hotch and the Sherriff outside. As soon as she appeared, all heads turned to her and Spencer walked up to place a hand in her back, giving her some extra balance – something he had been doing since she was out of the hospital all those days prior.

"Leanne Tipton's statement about the rape... It's off..." She said.

"What do you mean?" Spencer asked, as Lily looked down to quote exactly as it was from the text.

"Listen to this: 'he took me in the back room and I was really, really scared... I didn't know what was going on, and he... He kinda put his hand on my throat then he started to, you know, take my clothes off... I just tried to... And when he was finished... I ran'."

"What's off about that?" The Sheriff of the County asked. "Sounds like a woman being raped."

"No. Lily's right." Blake agreed. "Really, really scared is overselling. Kinda put his hand on my throat is underselling."

"And she uses the word just, which minimizes what follows, and down here... He started to take my clothes off..." Lily continued.

"Started to indicates that what started was interrupted." Hotch said.

"It's a false accusation." Spencer said. "I'll call the team."

He pulled out his phone and after making sure Lily was okay, he turned around and left. Hotch watched as Lily closed the file and helped her getting settle in the room the police had ceded to them.

"It's good having you back." He said, as he left the room.

Lily smiled, as she was left alone once more due to her broken ankle.

"It's good to be back." She whispered to no one in particular as she now waited for her team to wrap up the case so they could all go home.