Distress

Episode: 2x17

"So, you're not really into anyone?" Bridget asked, as mother and daughter stood in the kitchen.

"No, mom." She rolled her eyes, as she finished drying up the dishes.

"I'm mean, you are almost 30, sweetie. You just have..."

"I just turned 25, mom, please." Lily laughed, as Bridget shrugged.

"Five years fly, sweetheart." She smirked as she turned to face her daughter instead of the sauce she was making on the oven. "When you realize it, you'll be 50."

"Geez... Thanks for the positive prospect, mom."

"I'm just saying."

Before Lily could say anything else, though, her phone rang and she frowned when she saw Emily's name shining on the screen.

"Excuse me for a second, mom?" She asked, as she left the kitchen.

"You said you wouldn't work while you were here." Bridget complained.

"I'm sure it's nothing." She called back. "It's just a second, I swear."

She could hear her mom mumbling something, but she decided to ignore it when she accepted the call.

"Hey, Em." Lily said. "Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine, don't worry about it, Lily." She answered calmly, but the younger woman could tell something was bothering her friend.

"But..." She encouraged, as she heard Emily sighing.

"Listen... something's wrong with Reid."

"Spence? Is he on the case with you? Didn't Hotch give him some time off as well?"

"I mean, he did, but he showed up at work everyday, and when we tried to stop him from coming, he just wouldn't have it."

"How so?" Lily frowned. "He was forbidden of going. Did he go against the rules?"

"Not only that." Emily said. "He argued with Hotch until Gideon allowed him to come."

"Gideon allowed him?" Lily gasped. "For the love of God... The boy was held hostage and tortured for almost two days, stayed in the Hospital for another two and had no more than five days off? Of course he's snapping."

"Yeah, well... I have to head back, but we are almost closing the case and I know you were planning on a few more days with your family, but maybe..."

"Yeah, of course." Lily interrupted Emily, already knowing what she was thinking. "Text me when you land. I'll go pay Spence a visit."

"Okay. Thanks."

"No problem. Now, go catch the unsub. Good luck, Em."

"Thank you. Bye, Lily, see you soon."

"See you."

***

The day she received a message from Emily saying they were returning, she said her goodbyes to her family, hopped in the car and left New York, head back to D.C.

When she got there, about three hours later, she didn't even stop at her house before heading toward Spencer's. She parked her car in his street and entered the building, receiving a smile from the night gatekeeper.

"Hey, Ms. Scottley." He greeted, already used to her unusual visiting hours. "Dr. Reid has just arrived."

"Hey, Danny." She smiled when he left his desk to accompany him toward the elevator. "Thank you." She smiled once he held the door open for her.