Talking to the family

It was a good thing Lily was so comprehensive all the time. When he said he would take the weekend off to visit his mom, she didn't object. In fact, she encouraged him, assuring that she would be fine, telling Claire to plan something for the both of them to do.

While driving his car to New York, instead of toward the airport like Lily thought, Spencer wondered if she would ever find out that he had lied to her. No, of course not. How could she? And even if she did, he was doing it for a good reason, right? So there was no reason for him to worry, was there? With a shaky breathe, he dialed Eleanor's number and waited for his girlfriend's older sister to pick it up.

"Hey, Spencer!" Her cheerful voice came through the speaker. "How are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?" He asked back, trying to maintain a normal conversation.

"I'm good. What about Lily?"

"She's fine." He said. "Hum... May I talk to you, Eleanor, or is it a bad time?"

"No, don't worry, it's fine." The woman assured. "Is everything okay? Lily isn't hurt is she?"

"No, no. Don't worry, it's nothing bad."

"Oh, great..." He could hear the relief in Eleanor's voice. He smiled. He loved how deeply the Scottley kids cared for each other. "Then what's going on?"

"See, Eleanor, I... I want to talk to you about something, but I couldn't ask that through the phone so I figured... Would it be okay if I went there? I mean... Just this afternoon, maybe we can talk over dinner?"

"Hum... Sure, I guess. Shawn and I hadn't had anything planned anyway. George and his boyfriend are here, too, though. Is Lily coming? Maybe I can get us all a table at my restaurant so we can talk?"

"That'd be good, yeah." Spencer nodded, but his gripped on the wheel tightened. It was a good thing that George was there as well, but Shawn and George's boyfriend? More people? That wouldn't be good to him. "Lily won't be going, however. What I have to ask you sort of implies a bit of secrecy, so if you could not tell her I'm going, that'd be good. She thinks I'm going to visit my mom in Vegas."

"Spencer... What you want to ask... Is it what I think it is?"

He could almost hear the smirk forming in Eleanor's lips when she asked that question, and he couldn't help but blush slightly.

"Just... Get us a dinner reservation, then. I'll be at your house in a few hours." He avoided the question, earning a squeal from the woman on the other side of the line. Well... At least she was happy.

***

Spencer ended up arriving earlier than planned, so when he did arrive at Eleanor's, it wasn't even time for lunch yet. Being a well renowned Chef in New York, Eleanor had to leave at 10 o'clock so she could start her shift at her restaurant. Shawn had too been called in for an emergency in the hospital, so it was only George and his boyfriend there.

"Hey, Spencer." The only male Scottley greeted as he opened his sister's house's door open wider for him to step inside. "Ellie told me you would be coming, so I'm here to welcome you."

"Thank you." He nodded, as he awkwardly stepped inside.

The two older Scottley's were incredibly rich, both of them famous in their own way and well provided for since childhood. Eleanor had had her restaurant for almost 13 years now and even if she didn't have a smooth start, after a bump or two, she became the best Chef in New York, even getting a prize for being the youngest person ever to open a five stars restaurant. As if it wasn't enough, she even married a great surgeon, which only added to her wealth. They both worked hard, but somehow, they managed to keep their relationship strong, as he hoped he could do with Lily. Meanwhile, George was in the most famous boy band in the USA, having sold millions of records in America and thousands overseas. He was a lucky one. His band took off when he was only 19 years old and they managed to keep going for almost 15, only in the begging of this year deciding to lay low. Of course, he was still followed by paparazzi and stopped to talk to a fan or take a picture wherever he went, but he didn't seem all that bothered, anyway.