Sick day

Episode: 12x02

Spencer watched from afar as JJ sat alone on the jet, looking out the window blankly. He frowned when she rejected opening to him, Hotch, Lily and even Luke, who had shared the awful experience with her.

"Hey, Spence?" Lily called, snapping him out his thoughts, as he watched the woman sitting in front of him in the only long couch the jet had and that, somehow, always seemed to be reserved for them.

"Hum?" He hummed, letting her know she had his attention.

"When we get home... Can we talk?"

"Why? What happened?" He asked, suddenly worried.

"No, nothing happened." She smiled slightly, as she placed her book down on her lap. "I mean, yeah, something happened, but it's not something bad, it's just... It's something we need to discuss, it's all."

"Sure." He nodded, even if, deep down, he still felt quite uneasy with the whole situation. "Sure, we can talk."

"I promise you, Spence..." She chuckled, noticing his nervousness. "You don't have to worry."

"Okay." He said. "I won't."

Lily giggled, shaking her head slightly before looking down at her book again. She took a deep breath. Take your own advice, Lily, she thought. There is nothing to worry about.

***

Lily unlocked the door of her apartment and slowly pushed it open, heading straight toward the kitchen to unset the alarm. When she heard a whine from upstairs, she quickly headed over there to open the small gate that prevented Fred to go to the first floor during the nights so he wouldn't bark and end up waking up Claire. Lily petted him for a second before walking down the hall to check on her daughter. When she saw her sleeping peacefully on her bed, she smiled and left toward the living room again.

There, as it was expected, she met Spencer, sat on her couch, playing with Fred as they waited for her arrival. She smiled as she saw him and he returned the gesture, his eyes glued to her form as she sat down beside him.

"Do you want something?" She asked in a low tone. "It was a long trip."

"No, I'm fine." He answered in the same volume.

"Well, I do. I'm starving." She giggled. "Go to the kitchen with me?"

He nodded, as they both got up from the couch and walked toward Lily's kitchen. Spencer sat down on a chair she always had laying around, but when she opened the cabinet and realized the cereal she wanted was far beyond her reach, she turned to him with a shy smile.

"Can you grab me that?" She asked, sheepishly, as he chuckled.

"Why can't you have that?" He asked, as he mentioned to another type of cereal that was on a much lower shelf.

"I want that one." She raised an eyebrow at him, as she went to grab a bowl and milk.

"I thought you like the other one more." He said, as he sat back down, placing the box over the sink.

"I do." She said, as she closed the fridge and rose herself up so she could sit on the counter. "It's just I've been wanting that since we left Los Angeles."

"You couldn't have been thinking about Fruity Pebbles all the way from California to here."

"Well, I guess it's like they say..." She shrugged, putting down the milk after pouring it on her cereal. She smiled and lifted her eyes up to meet Spencer's. "You can't really understand a pregnant woman's cravings, can you?"

It took Spencer a moment to process what was going on, but when he did, he didn't care it was 3 a.m. and that the whole building was probably sleeping at the moment. The only thing he could do was get up and run to Lily, as he picked her up from the counter and spun her around, almost knocking off her cereal in the process.

"Oh my God, are you serious?" He asked, with the hugest smile on his face as Lily giggled.

"Yes, I am, Spence, but for God's sake, be quiet."

"Be quiet? How can you ask me to be quiet? There's a baby in there, Lily! Oh, God, I'm so happy."

"Me too, Spence..." She smiled, as she finally managed to calm him down from his buzz and make him look at her. "I'm very happy."

"Oh, Lily... I love you."

"I love you too." She beamed.

"What's going on?" A very sleepy Claire asked as she entered the kitchen, rubbing her eyes. "I'm glad you're back and all, but it's 3 a.m., guys, I want to sleep."

"Sorry." Lily giggled, as she hit Spencer's chest lightly as if to reprehend him. "Go back to bed, sweetie, it won't happen again."

"But you seem far too happy to have just come back from a case. Usually you guys are dull when it happens." She noted. Sometimes Lily wished she wasn't so smart. "What's going on?"

"Well..." Lily smiled, glancing back at Spencer as if to make sure she should tell her. When he nodded, she smiled at Claire. "I guess you'll be an older sister soon enough."

"Oh my... Oh my God, are you serious?" Claire asked, as her blue eyes jumped from Lily to Spencer. She laughed when he saw him beaming behind his fiancé just a few meters away from them. "Oh, Lily, that's great news!"

"Yeah." She nodded. "But don't tell anyone just yet, okay? Especially not Penelope."

"Okay." Claire giggled.

"And go back to bed. It's late and you have school tomorrow." She said, as she pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Good night, sweetie."

"Good night, Lily. Good night, Spencer." She smiled, as she turned around to leave the kitchen. "And congratulations."

When Claire started walking up the stairs, Lily spun around just to see Spencer's wide smile as he watched her.

"I can't believe it." He said, as Lily noticed a tear falling down his eyes. She chuckled lovingly as she stepped closer to him to wipe it away. "We're having a baby."

"Yes, we are." She confirmed.

They stood there in the middle of the kitchen, holding each other tight for a second, before Spencer's mind started to wonder again.

"You can't go to work anymore, Lily!"

"Don't worry, Spence. I have it all covered. I'll be careful, I promise."

"But..."

"Let's not discuss this tonight, okay?" She pleaded, as she leaned in her tiptoes and pulled his face down to meet his lips with hers. "Let me just finish eating this so we can go upstairs and you can sleep with us tonight?"

Even if he did want to discuss the subject of her safety as soon as possible, hearing Lily ask him to cuddle them that night had him melting on the spot. His smile could light up a whole town, as he nodded, as placed a hand on her stomach standing behind her in front of the sink.

"I like the sound of that." He sighed happily, as she pressed her back against him and chewed happily on her cereal. He laughed at the adorableness of the woman in front of him, pressing a kiss to her nose. "I like the sound of us."