Green light

Episode: 12x21

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." - Ernest Hemingway

"Why would Scratch choose Lindsey?" Tara asked, as the team sat around the table on the kitchenette. "I mean, her ties to Reid are distant."

"Walker and I, we kicked it around on the flight, and we imagine that Scratch was digging further into Reid's past and he saw that Lindsey had become a contract killer." Luke said. "Realized she could get to him in a way that he couldn't."

"It may be logistical, too." Walker added.

"Scratch has never run out of drugs before, but now he's a fugitive and might not be able to get them." JJ offered.

"Well, Lindsey knows the border." Rossi agreed.

"She'd be a good drug mule." The woman finished.

"Good news, bad news." Emily said, as she stepped inside the bullpen. "I am on the books first thing tomorrow with Judge Frost and AUSA Martinez."

"But all we have is a theory and no support from the brass." JJ frowned.

"That's never stopped us before." The brunette shrugged.

"I guess we have 12 hours to make an airtight case for you to bring to them." Rossi said.

"Yes. Not only that, we also need a paper trail." Emily nodded.

"I'll put on the coffee."

At the sound of her voice, they all stopped talking and turned to stare at the bullpen door where Lily Scottley stood, in some nice work-pants, her favorite boots and a nice loose blouse, probably to hide the baby fat she still hadn't lost.

"Lily..." Penelope gasped, as Lily bit her lip slightly, taking a step forward to get closer to the team.

"Look, I know what you're gonna say, okay?" She said. "But I can't. I can't stay at home doing nothing anymore. I'm tired."

"You're not doing nothing, Lily." JJ protested, shaking her head at the woman. "You're taking care of your son."

"And now my brother is doing that." Lily insisted. "Let me help you, guys, please. Let me do something."

"Lily, no." Emily said as Lily's head turned in her direction.

"I'll lose it, Emily." The red haired woman almost pleaded. "If I don't do something, I'll lose it."

Emily sighed, before looking around the team. No one was happy with the idea, but they all knew Lily. They knew staying at home, even if she was staying with Alec, was killing her. Especially knowing that Spencer was out there, probably in danger. She was losing it almost as much as Reid was.

"Fine..." The Unit Chief gave in. "But you are not allowed to go anywhere near the field, do you understand me?"

"Yes." She nodded with a smile. "Thank you."

"Okay." She smiled back slightly. "Let's go, then."

As soon as they entered the conference room, Lily and JJ started to put up a board to work victimology and a geographic profile. Penelope sat down with her computer and the rest of the team sat around the table, waiting for Emily and Rossi to bring them the files they needed to go through.

"We leave no stone unturned." The Unit Chief said, as she too sat down and started to pass the files around.

Long hours, many cups of coffee - not for Lily, though, since she was breastfeeding at the time - and a few pieces of pizza later, Tara finally gave them something to work with.