Taboo

Episode: 12x03

"Some things never change." Emily said as she stepped inside the BAU Unit.

"Hey, you!" Lily smiled, as she jumped off Spencer's desk and ran over toward the brunette Agent, pulling her in for a hug, not caring she was still carrying her bags and a box.

"Hi." She smiled.

"Oh, hello!" JJ squealed, as she also hugged Emily tight, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Welcome back!" Spencer cheered excitedly, running toward her before JJ could even step back. The blonde woman shared a look with her friends who laughed. "Donuts? Wait, did you happen to get..."

"Chocolate frosted with sprinkles?" She finished his phrase, as she opened the box revealing all the team's all-time favorites. "Yes. How could I forget your favorite? A cinnamon donut for JJ and a chocolate muffin for Lily who, somehow, doesn't like donuts at all."

"Oh..." Lily gushed as she rushed over to grab the small treat from Emily, as she dove head on in the cake. Partially because she loved chocolate muffins. Partially because now she was eating for two and she hadn't eaten since she threw up that morning. "It is so great to see you. Even if it's only temporary."

"Well, when Hotch told me the director tapped him for special assignment, I wanted to help out. More so when he said you guys still have escaped serial killers you have to catch, on top of your normal caseload?"

JJ groaned in agreement as she took a bite of her donut.

"Lewis is going to be sorry she missed you." Spencer said.

"Oh, yeah, me, too." Emily responded, as she placed her bag on Luke's desk.

"That's actually Luke Alvez's desk." Lily said, as she frowned, taking a look at it.

"Really? It looks empty."

"Uh, well, he travels light." JJ shrugged.

"Garcia said he was ex-army. Came over from the Fugitive Task Force?" Emily asked.

"Yeah, you're gonna like him." Spencer nodded.

"You know, the lack of personal effects on his desk could stem from his days as a fugitive hunter." Emily started. Lily and JJ exchanged a look. Someone missed profiling. "He probably felt like he was never in one place long enough to dig in. I mean, no family photos, no significant others. Not even a plant to over water. I mean, this Alvez could be a real loner type." At that, the three of them realized the Luke had just arrived and was standing behind Emily as she talked. They tried to warn her with meaningful looks and a few forced coughs, but nothing seemed to alarm Emily as she rented. "Somebody could have done a real number on this guy. An ex, maybe. I mean, no doubt the army taught him order and discipline, but a desk like this could mean he has commitment issues. He's behind me right now, isn't he?"

"Luke Alvez, meet Emily Prentiss." Lily said, as she bit back a smirk.

"Hey." He said.

Lily laughed when they awkwardly started to talk, but frowned when her phone buzzed. She walked away slightly from them and was not surprised to hear from Detective Ogilvie again. They had been talking a lot since the first woman had been found dead and in a barrel full of concrete a few weeks prior. Now that they had another victim, it became FBI's jurisdiction.

"Sorry to interrupt that amazing conversation..." Lily said, as she noticed Emily's discomfort around Luke after all she had said about him. "But we have a case."