We'll See

Request from @That_Bitch_2006 (Ashlynn)! Thank you!!

Thank you all for the love and support, I really appreciate it and it makes me so happy!!

An update that I wasn't able to post in like March: I GOT A CHANDLER RIGGS AUTOGRAPH ON A PICTURE OF CARL! IT EVEN SAYS MY NAME ON IT I LOVE IT. 

"Ashlynn," Maggie calls out as I exit the house. "Were you able to find anything?"

I nod. "Yeah. Some canned goods, first aid shit, and-" I dig around in my backpack, "this stuffed bear for Judith."

"Wow, super useful Ashlynn," Glenn teases as he walks up next to Maggie.

I smile. "Shut up, she'll love it."

Glenn chuckles. "Yeah but if a walker were to come in what would she do? Throw it at it? Oh, I'm sure-"

"Guys," Sasha's voice interrupts. "You should come look at this." 

My laughter subsides as worry starts to take over, and by the look on Glenn and Maggie's faces I'd say the same about them. But why couldn't Sasha just say what it is? Why play the 'you should come look at this' game? But we all follow Sasha without a word. 

"Here," Sasha says, pointing at something. It was a dog, dead, with a gunshot wound next to a walker wearing a helmet. The walker was writhing around but its legs were stuck under the heavy dog. After further inspection, the walker didn't have any gunshot wounds. 

Maggie takes a step forward to investigate as well. "There's only one gunshot wound on the dog. No gun around. No bullet holes in the walker. That's weird." 

"It almost looks like the dog was... protecting the poor guy," Glenn chimes in. "There's no walker bites on the dog. 

Seeing the dog broke my heart. That poor soul had no idea what was going on in this crazy world. But something slightly buried under the leaves catches my eye and I gasp, causing everyone to panic and look at me. "Look!" I say, rushing over to the object. "A skateboard!" 

"Wait, Ashlynn's right!" Glenn says. "Maybe someone shot the dog and was trying to shoot the guy, but the guy fell and the shooter thought he got him. The guy may have bite marks on his legs, or maybe he broke his neck or something."

I shake my head. "No. I mean I used to skateboard before all of this. This would be great to take back to Alexandria. I haven't had fun in a while. Besides, I could teach Carl some tricks. I wonder if he's ever even touched a skateboard before."

No one says a word and they all stare at me in disbelief as if it were inappropriate timing; which it was, but that's beside the point. 

"What?" I ask innocently. "I just got excited."

As we enter the gates of Alexandria I hand my bag of (useful) items over to Rick and mention the stuffed bear for Judith. "Do you happen to know where Carl is?" I ask him.

"Reading comics by the lake. Well, that's where I last saw him."

I look over towards the lake and see a figure resting against the tree, staring at a book. "Thanks," I say and head over to Carl with the skateboard tucked under my arm. "Carl!" I shout when I'm close enough, but he doesn't hear me. "Carl!" 

Carl turns his head and his face instantly lights up when he sees me. He places the book down with both sides out to hold his page and hops up just as I reach him. I drop the skateboard as he wraps me in a giant hug and kisses me on the neck. "I missed you," he whispers. 

I giggle. "Missed you too. I was only gone for two days."

"Yeah, two days too long." Carl then seemed to notice the skateboard on the ground. "What's that?"

I roll my eyes. "A skateboard, obviously."

"Okay, well I meant why did you take it?"

I shrug. "I used to ride and I thought it'd be nice to bring something normal back into my life. Something fun and memorable." I think about my dad who got me into skateboarding in the first place, but turn my attention back to Carl. "Besides, I wanna teach you some tricks."

He raises his eyebrows. "What? I've never- I mean... I don't even know how to ride it."

"Well I can teach you, obviously," I snap back. 

Carl puts his hands up in defense. "Okay," he mocks. 

I laugh. He's so adorable. "Come on," I tell him, walking towards the pavement. 

"Wait, right now? I was reading!"

"Yes, right now! Come on, you can read later!"

I hear Carl sigh and I know he's having a small debate with himself. "Fine," he mumbles and I smile. 

I first teach Carl how to step on the skateboard, and when he masters that he just stares at me with a blank look on his face.

"What?" I ask. 

Carl furrows his eyebrows. "Am I just supposed to stand here, darling?" Darling. I love how he calls me cute names when he's being sarcastic. 

I giggle again. "Here, take my hands." I outstretch my hands and he takes them hesitantly, afraid he would fall forward. When he's steady, I slowly walk him so he's rolling next to me. I start to pick up the pace as he learns to balance himself. "See? Not so bad. I'm gonna let go, okay?"

Carl nods, and when I let go I'm surprised at how well he's doing. I start to jog and follow him, and soon he's able to push himself to go forward and turn. 

"Wow," I say when he gets off the skateboard next to me. "That's the definition of a natural."

"Show me what you can do."

I smirk, excited to finally ride again. I zoom down the street and do a kickflip. Well, a couple of them. Then I do a switch backside 180, and finish it off with an ollie north. When I came back to Carl he looked impressed. 

"Nice. Maybe someday you can teach me to do all that," he chuckles. 

I kiss him on the forehead. "I'll think about it," I tease, starting to walk away before Carl grabs my waist and pulls me into him. 

"You're just afraid I'll become better than you, huh?" 

I laugh and try to get out of his grip but he holds me tighter. "Absolutely not! You know that would never happen." 

He shrugs and lets me go. "We'll see." 

I love Carl to pieces, but if he's making this a competition, I will win. 

No, I did not look up the names of skateboard tricks. No, I did not have to watch videos to see if they would make sense in the story. Absolutely not.