Our Judith

Request from @GLsaggitarius ! Thanks so much!

For this one, imagine they are older like twenties-ish or late-late teens. I always picture Carl as 17-19 years old since I'm 18, but this one will make more sense if they are older anyway! Nothing sexual, I promise! It'll make sense as you read :)

"I'm gonna count down from sixty, okay Judith?" I tell the laughing girl in front of me. 

Judith nods her head, giggling, and runs off to hide somewhere in the house, and I cover my eyes with my hands. I hear the pitter-patter of her feet as she decides where she wants to go. 

"Sixty!" I call out. "Fifty-nine... fifty-eight... fifty-seven..." I continue to count down, and even though I don't hear movement anymore I keep going. "Four... three... two...-"

I jump and let out a scream when a sudden, "One!" is whisper-yelled in my ear and hands are placed tightly on my shoulders. The voice then starts laughing. 

"Seriously, Carl?" I say annoyed. I was just trying to have fun with Judith. "I'm trying to find your sister!" 

Carl calms down his laughter and says, "Then go find her."

I roll my eyes. "Aren't you supposed to be going on a run?"

He nods. "Yeah, I was just leaving right now actually. Why are you asking? Do you want me gone that bad?"

"No, of course not!" I playfully shove him. "I was just curious. But for real, I have to find Judith. She's winning."

Carl furrows his eyebrows. "How do you win at hide-and-seek?"

I shrug and repeat, "Don't you have a run to be on?" He chuckles and heads outside and I start making my way around the house. "Juuuudith," I whisper. "Where are youuuuu." I head up the stairs and start checking the different rooms. When I can't find her I decide on a different tactic. "Remember that time we scared Carl and he fell on his butt?"

I hear a small giggle come from the closet and smile. She's so frickin' cute. I open the door and laugh. 

"Found you!" 

Judith laughs and I carry her downstairs and outside on the porch. She sits down on the stairs and I sit next to her. "Carl," she says. 

I smile. "Yeah he's on a run right now. He's getting food and other things for us. He'll be back soon, okay?" I'm always nervous when Carl goes on runs. I know he's done it a bunch of times and I know we were all in the wilderness for a while, but anything can happen in this world... 

In the afternoon, after playing pass with Judith, she yawns and I put her to sleep for a nap. I then kiss her forehead and sit back down on the porch in the warmth. 

When I hear the gates open and the trucks pull in, I'm a little more relieved but still nervous that Carl (or another group member) didn't make it back. However, I let out a sigh of relief as I see him hop out of the car and lock eyes with me. I immediately stand up and meet him halfway, practically jumping in his arms. 

"I was gone for half a day," he laughs. 

"Yeah but you never know what could happen," I mumble in his shoulder. 

He strokes my hair and replies, "I wouldn't leave you, Y/N. You know that."

I pull away from him. "I don't think you can control the actions of a walker."

"Whatever. Anyway, how's Judith?"

"She's good," I smile. "I just put her down for a nap about 15 minutes ago."

Carl shakes his head, also smiling. "You'd make a great mom. Always caring for her and everything."

"I just love kids," I say. "Before all of this I wanted to have my own daycare."

"Well, our little Judith would definitely have had to attend." Carl's eyes instantly widen in shock, and he tries to speak but can't. 

Meanwhile, I'm frozen but also found it kind of sweet that Carl referred to Judith as 'ours'. 

"Oh my God," he says. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean it like that- I just... you know, we're best friends and we both take care of her and stuff..."

I cut him off. "Carl, it's okay. I thought it was kind of sweet, honestly. I know what you meant."

He relaxes and apologizes again. "I didn't mean to- it just sort of came out."

"Oh, shut up." And then I do something that surprises me more than Carl. I pull him in by his shirt and kiss him. He immediately grabs my face and deepens the kiss, and I feel so relieved. 

When we pull apart he says, "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that. No idea."

~time skip, Carl doesn't die, 10-ish years later (remember, they're like 18+ in the beginning) Also pretend Glenn is still alive as well~

"Where's Lori?" I ask. 

"She's outside with her brothers." 

I make my way to the back porch. "Lori, Abraham, and Tyreese! Come in for dinner!" 

Carl and the rest of the group members take care of Alexandria really well. The walls are much sturdier and the defense is stronger, so it's safe for our children to play wherever they want. 

"Is Judith joining us tonight?"

Carl shakes his head through a sip of water. "She's with Maggie and Glenn."

Just then Lori, Abraham, and Tyreese burst through the door all laughing as Lori reaches out her hand to touch Abraham. "You're it! And I quit now!" 

"I quit too!" Tyreese yells. "You're stuck with it!"

"Aw, no fair!" Abraham laughs. 

I smile, thinking about how happy and lucky I am to have Carl and my kids in my life. I'm the happiest I have ever been, even in the middle of an apocalypse. 

Hope you all enjoyed!