We're Going To Be Okay

I literally saw Carl's death so long ago but it's literally ruining my entire week for some reason. I can't stop thinking about it and it's making me sad :(

Word Count (including bold text): 1661

"Hey love," Carl says, planting a kiss on my lips. "I missed you."

"Carl you've been checking traps for twenty minutes!" I laugh.

He wraps his arms around my waist, kissing my neck. "Yeah but you weren't there."

I spin around while still in his arms and kiss him on the cheek. "Anything?"Carl shakes his head in disappointment and I give a weak smile. "It's okay, we still have some food. And we can always look for fruits or vegetables."

"It's been a week for these traps, Y/N, and we still haven't caught anything. We're not going to survive much longer on what we have."

After the Governor destroyed the prison Carl and I took off into the woods. After the chaos died down we ran back to the prison to find anyone from our group, but no one was there. Since then we've been out in the woods and on the roads trying to reunite with our group or find semi-permanent shelter. We truly think our group is still out there, so we keep moving with that in our minds. 

"Well we can deal for now. Hey, Carl, it's okay. It's not your fault!" I hug him tightly as his face grows more and more upset. "We'll manage. All we have to do is keep moving, okay?"

Carl nods into my shoulder, gives me a tight squeeze and we pull apart. "I'm sorry, Y/N I-"

"We don't have time for apologies, Carl. I love you."

"I love you Y/N." Carl smiles at me and my heart melts. His smile never gets old. 

"Come on, it's getting dark. Let's go back to our camp?" I stretch out my hand and Carl grabs it, and I lead the way through to woods to find our setup we have. 

After a couple of minutes I hear Carl's voice next to me. "Babe, are you sure we're going the right way? I thought I saw this rock when I checked the traps."

"How do you know it was that rock in particular?" I laugh. "I'm kidding Carl," I add after he tries to defend the odd shape and large size. "I know where I'm going, it's a little past that hill over there," I say, pointing in front of us. 

"Okay," Carl whispers uncertainly. 

After a few minutes of trekking through the woods I finally bring up what I know we have both been thinking about. "Carl?"

"Yeah?"

"I think we should keep going after tonight. Keep going north, maybe. Follow the roads." I look at his face and was surprised to see a neutral reaction. 

"I didn't want to say it but I was thinking the same thing," Carl replies. 

"I know," I whisper. 

Fifteen minutes later and I start to think that Carl was right about going in the wrong direction. I don't want to mention this to him and have him tease me for being right, but then again I think it's worse if we continue to go in the wrong direction for a long time. 

I stop suddenly. "Carl, I-"

"I thought you said you knew where you were going?" smirked Carl. 

I roll my eyes and look at the ground smiling. Of course he knew what I was going to say. "Yeah, well I lied. I'm sorry, I seriously thought..." I trail off.

"I'm not mad, Y/N. It's cute. If we didn't need all of our shit back at our camp I would say let's continue from here." He pauses for a moment. "Alright, let's go," he breaths, scooping me up in his arms. I giggle and wrap my legs around his torso, resting my head sideways on his shoulder.