Medicine

Request from @ushis_left_nut ! Thanks for the request! (Great username btw lol)

I sniffle and breathe out, closing my eyes which are heavy and red. My blankets are snuggled up under my chin as high up as they can go as I shiver underneath them. Carl sits at the edge of the bed twirling a knife in his hands facing the door. 

"You doing okay?" Carl asks without looking at me. 

"Mhm," I mutter, sniffling again. "Just tired."

Carl throws the knife on the ground and slides backwards, laying his head on the pillow next to me. He places a hand on my back and rubs small circles. 

"Carl, I'm gonna get you sick. I feel like shit. I don't... I've never felt this bad before."

He leans over and plants a kiss on my temple. "You'll be fine, okay?" he whispers in my ear before settling back on the pillow. "Let me see it."

I shake my head. "It's fine."

Carl rubs his hand gently on my cheek. "Y/N... I need to see it. See if it's doing better."

"I'm cold. I can't take the blanket off. I told you it's fine."

His hand slips underneath the blanket and grasps my arm gently. "Real quick, okay?" When I finally nod he lowers the blanket and rolls up my sweatshirt sleeve. "Oh my God..."

I wince at the pain when the cloth drags across the wound and turn my head to look at it as well. Pus was pooling in it and there were red streaks escaping from the opening, partially scabbing over. The area was swollen and it hurt like a bitch, but I try to keep a straight face. "It's getting better."

Carl shakes his head. "No it's not. I hate to be so negative but I can't lie. It's worse. I need to get you that medicine."

I push up on my good elbow. "No. Absolutely not. You're not going."

He stands up before I can protest even more. "I'm not just going to sit here and watch you fucking die in front of me knowing that I could do something about it."

"But you can't do anything about it! You're the one who's going to die by trying to make your way through that hoard!" Phlegm is building up in my throat and makes it hard to breathe so I start coughing and have to lay back down. "If you go out there, we both die. If you stay here, then I'll be the only one gone. Your life is worth more than that, Carl." My lungs hurt and my head is spinning. I place a hand over my eyes for a few seconds, then turn on my side and close my eyes. 

Carl sits back down next to me and brushes through my hair with his fingers. "Don't fall asleep, Y/N. I don't want you leaving me yet."

"Sorry," I whisper. After a few minutes of silence I whisper, "Please don't go, Carl." 

He sighs, and my heart sinks. "I have to. I just don't want you falling asleep yet. Here, if I set you up in a chair near the window, you can watch me as I go, okay? I'll be going right across the street so you can see me the entire time."

I shake my head quickly. "No, Carl, please. I love you, please don't go."

"I love you, Y/N. So much. Which is why I'm going. If I get this medication for you, you'll be okay. You'll be better, then we can figure out how to leave this place and find Hilltop, okay?"

I ponder this for a moment and know Carl will go with or without my 'permission' and I would feel more comfortable watching him. It would also keep me awake, and I don't want Carl to worry about me falling asleep while fighting through the walkers. It would just be a distraction. "Okay. I'll watch you from the window."