One Hell Of A Week

Word Count (including bold text): 1979

The sun's setting and Carl and I look at each other with a smile on our faces. As soon as it gets darker we're going to climb the fence and go outside the walls just for fun; it gets boring being stuck in Alexandria after a while. 

We've never done this before and I honestly don't know why. We would always say how bored we were but never did anything about it until Carl had the brilliant idea of just slipping over the fence for a while. I agreed, and we planned on tonight. We're sitting on my bed in my room just waiting for it to be dark enough to sneak out the window. Rick, Carl, and I live together- Carl's my best friend and I don't have family anymore- so it will be easy to be unnoticed by the household. 

I tap my foot impatiently on the floor and lean back on my hands that are on the edge of the bed. 

"Nervous?" Carl asks. 

"No," I respond. "Just excited. Impatient."

Carl laughs softly. "It's almost time. Don't forget to leave your window open so we can get back in."

I go over what I need in my head to make sure I have everything and I'm prepared. Flashlight? Yup. Knife? Yup. Gun? Yup. Looks like I'm all good. My stomach flips with excitement and I want to just get going. 

It's finally dark enough to slip out the window unnoticed. Fortunately, my room is on the first floor so it was convenient to our plan. I slide the window up while Carl and I climb out, and then I slide it back down just enough so we can get back through later. 

"Okay," I say. "Let's go." We take the route that Enid takes, she would have come with us but she's on watch in about an hour. 

Carl starts climbing first while I take watch making sure no one sees us. Everything is silent and still, and all of the houses are dark. I see the towers in the distance but the people on watch are too far away to even notice us. 

"Am I good?" Carl asks when he's at the top. 

"Yeah," I whisper-yell. "I'm coming up now." Carl stays on top of the fence now on watch while I climb to the top. I have the flashlight between my teeth so I can use both hands to climb. When I reach the top Carl and I smile at each other, and we both carefully make our way down. 

"That was much easier than I thought," Carl whispered. 

I nod. "I know, right? We brought the flashlights but I don't know if we should use them. It might attract walkers or the people on watch could see."

"I was thinking the same thing. We can still kind of see, anyway. Come on," he reaches out his hand for me to grab and I take it. Carl leads in front of me holding my hand the whole way. We decided to stick by the road so when we are out of sight from the people on watch we can walk silently down the road. So far we haven't seen any walkers, which is good. 

"Ready to hop on the road?" I ask. 

"Hell yes," he responds. When we step onto the road everything suddenly feels so much more open. 

I laugh in joy and spin around looking at the world beyond Alexandria's walls. "It's beautiful," I whisper. "I mean, I know I see it everyday and I've seen it before, but it's been so long." I look at Carl and he's already staring at me with a smile.

"You're so adorable," he chuckles. "But I have to agree with you." 

We walk hand-in-hand down the road slowly for another 10 minutes before we decide that we should head back. "We don't want to wander too far," Carl had said. 

"Let's go back to the woods," I suggest as we near the gates. The walls are in sight but we haven't left the woods yet. We love being safe in Alexandria but our freedom right now feels amazing.