Overprotective

I've decided to write one of these instead of finishing all the assignments I literally have no time to do because I'm working all weekend. :) Enjoy

My group and I just arrived in Alexandria a couple days ago. Deanna said we will all have jobs in a few days, so at least it will give me something to do. She wants to interview us all first so she can see where to fit us, but I'm pretty sure I'll just be helping with the basic stuff around Alexandria. 

That's what most of the people my age do.

Anyway, in a few minutes Carl and I are about to head out to the backyard of Deanna's house for a little 'get together' or 'welcoming party'. I asked my best friend to go with me since I was way too nervous to show up alone. So here I am in Carl's room, sitting on his bed and tapping my foot anxiously. 

"Y/N, it's not even gonna be that bad. Our whole group is going to be there. Plus, I'll be with you the whole time, okay?"

I smile and nod, but it doesn't really relieve my anxiety. "I know. I shouldn't be nervous."

"It's okay to be nervous, that's not what I'm saying. Ready to go?"

I'm not, but I nod and follow him down the stairs and out the door. I can hear chatting and laughter a few houses down, and my stomach flips again. Carl notices my slight pause because he grabs my hand and stops me. 

"Hey, look at me," he says softly. 

I gaze up at him with nervousness in my eyes. 

"You can do this. I know it's hard, but I promise you that you can do this. You're super brave and I've seen you do some pretty badass things."

I laugh at his comment and it relaxes me a little bit. 

"So are you ready?" He releases my hand as I nod. We approach the gate to Deanna's backyard, and I hesitate before pushing it open. 

Fortunately, we did not draw a lot of attention, and I followed Carl around until we found a corner to awkwardly stand in. "Carl, we look really awkward right now."

"Yeah. We do," Carl replies.

"There's no one at the cooler," I say, looking across the lawn. "I'm just going to get a water. You want one?"

"I'm coming with you," he blurts out. 

I sigh. "Carl, I really want to not be so anxious about everything. I can go by myself just for this. I want to try to do something as simple as this to help me... practice, or something. Thank you, but I want to try this alone, okay?"

Carl shakes his head. "I know you can do it, there's just too many people and I won't be able to see you."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "What? I'm literally going to the cooler and back. You're the one who said our whole group is here."

"Y/N there are so many guys our age that are going to look at you like a piece of meat. It makes me nervous and you're not going alone."

I cross my arms. "Seriously? It's a fucking water bottle! I can do things on my own!" I start to raise my voice. 

"Shh," Carl whispers as he takes a step closer to me, trying to calm me down. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel like that. You can do things on your own, I just don't want people looking at you like that. Can I please go with you?"

I hesitate and roll my eyes before saying, "Okay, fine." I lead the way to the cooler and grab a bottle for me and hand one to Carl. "I think your dad's coming over here," I tell Carl. 

He turns his head and nods when he sees Rick. 

Upon his appearance Rick says, "Carl, can I talk to you?"