We're Not Enemies Anymore (Part 2)

Word Count (including bold text): 1429

We finished the tour and now I'm leading Carl to my dad's room. I feel nervous for Carl, although I know my dad doesn't kill kids. I can tell Carl is nervous, too, because he stopped speaking as soon as I told him where we were going now. "I forgot about that part," he had said, his smile fading. 

I'm about to knock on the door when Carl grabs my hand stopping me. "Wait," he says. "Can you come in with me? Please?" 

As much as I would love to, I can't. "Carl, I would but I can't. My dad would kick me out, he doesn't let me sit in on... well, 'talks'. He doesn't let anyone, really."

Carl looks down in disappointment, then back up at me, still holding my hand. "Can you wait outside for me? Just right here. I know I'm being stupid being scared like this but-"

"You're not stupid. I'm scared too. He's different than he used to be. But yes, I will wait right here for you the entire time, okay?"

"Promise?" 

"I promise," I answer. He lets go of my hand and I knock on the door. My dad opens the door with a smile, grabbing Carl on the shoulder. 

"Come on in, kid. Y/N, you can go." And with that he closes the door. But I don't go, I keep my promise to Carl. 

I don't know why I feel different about Carl than any other person who has tried to attack us. I really believe he's just trying to help his group. Like me, he's just a kid who wants to protect his family. And he's nice. He's been nice to me from the start- I don't think he's cruel at all. Hell, we became friends in about an hour already feeling safe around each other. 

After some time I hear the door click open, and Carl comes out followed by my dad. "See kid, if you-" my dad stops when he notices me. "The hell are you still doing here, Y/N? I was just about to bring Carl back home." He slaps his hand on Carl's shoulder. "You need something?" 

"Oh, I was just- can I come with you?" 

"It's dangerous. No."

"Dad, it's not dangerous, Carl's not dangerous, and their people aren't dangerous!" I shout.

"This kid tried to kill me. Now imagine what their whole group is capable of doing to my daughter. I killed their people, they might try to kill mine. And it won't be you," my dad says. 

"Well, maybe Dad, they're sick of your shit! Maybe they don't want to give up half their shit they worked hard for to you! Maybe they don't want you threatening them all the time! Dad I love you, but you need to stop! It's not fair."

"I can't believe you said that. I told you to be damn grateful for what you have, Y/N. We work hard to get that shit-"

"You fucking steal it!" I shout back. 

"If you want to go to Alexandria so bad, then you're staying there. You can't be grateful for what you have here, so go live with the kid and see how much it sucks to not have food or any necessities-"

"Well if you didn't take it all they might have some for themselves. You know what? Maybe I will go to Alexandria. I'd either be living with honest people, or I'll be shot dead. Either way is better than living in this hellhole!" I don't mean to be so rude, but it had to be said. This place isn't terrible to live in, but after talking to Carl I've had enough. 

My dad slams the door and storms off. "Fucking hell," he mutters. "Y/N, get your shit and be down in five minutes."

I don't have any 'shit' except for what I'm carrying now. I feel a tear slip down my cheek, and I can't control it. I've always been so strong, but this just made me reach my breaking point. Carl notices and wraps me in his arms, pulling me close to him just before I start sobbing into his shoulder. "It's okay," he whispers, stroking my hair. "No one's going to hurt you there. I promise. I won't let them. I won't let anyone hurt you. I know we just met but I feel like I can already trust you."

I laugh a little through my tears and say into his shoulder, "I was thinking the same thing. We have to go, Carl. Come on." I lead him down to the trucks outside, and sit in the back of the one my dad is driving with Carl next to me. 

Nobody speaks the entire car ride there. When we reach the gates, they start to open slowly. We hop out of the cars and enter Alexandria. The town is beautiful and looks like a normal neighborhood before the apocalypse. I can't help but get jealous at all of the color outside. The houses, the flowers, the plants- it's not just gray anymore. All of the people in Alexandria have their guns out. Carl stands a bit in front of me, and my dad walks towards the front of our group. 

"Rick. Where's Rick?"

"Out on a run," someone says. "Why?"

"I need to talk to him. I guess we'll just wait here until he comes back. Carl, where's your house?" Carl hesitantly leads the way towards his house, and I follow behind with my dad. We enter the house and my dad turns to me. "Get comfy. But you're gonna want to be back home in a day."

I don't say anything, but watch him enter the kitchen and he starts to make spaghetti. Carl and I sit in the living room across from each other in silence. I hear the table being set up with plates, forks, and cups. Carl looks at me and I just shrug. 

After an awkward dinner Rick finally shows up. Again, I get kicked out of the house while my dad talks to Rick, only this time Carl's with me. I watch my group take supplies and other things to the trucks. I have to look away. 

"Carl, I'm sorry," I say shaking my head.

"What do you mean?" he questions. 

"We're just taking all of your stuff. More than half of it. It's not fair. I wish I could do something about it."

He pauses for a moment, then takes my hands in his. "Y/N, this is not on you at all. Don't apologize for something you don't have control over. Something you didn't even do." He pulls me into a hug, and we stay like that for a while before I pull away. 

My dad and Rick finally come out of the house. Carl and I both turn around, and his arm wraps around my waist instinctively. My dad notices and says, "Get your hands off my daughter kid."

"Dad, you said I'm living here now. What's it matter to you?" I say before Carl can do anything. Rick doesn't seem to notice or care about what just happened because he doesn't say anything. He really just looks depressed and zoned out of the real world. 

After the group packs up everything, my dad comes over and gives me a hug. "Don't think I don't love you, Y/N. I'll never stop loving you no matter what, okay? But damn, am I pissed. I'll be back in a week to pick you up. Have fun in this piece of shit."

"Dad," I say. "I love you too, but you don't need to pick me up. I'm staying here. Living here. I don't like what you do to these people."

My dad looks at the ground with a frown, almost like he's going to cry. But then he picks himself back up and looks me in the eyes, nods, then walks away. Carl gives me a side hug, pulling me closer to him. "Y/N, you can go back. That's your family."

"I don't want to. I know where I want to be now. If your people are okay with it." I look up at him. 

"Well, they're going to have to be." He smiles at me. I think I made the right decision. 

Should I make a part 3 or stop it here? I could stop it here, but I also definitely could continue with a last part. Let me know what you think! Again, this story is really loosely based off of that episode haha. Some of these stories will be just loosely based and I change the plot or wording! :)