Car Ride

A lot of these stories may not add up to the timeline with living/dead characters. Some of them might. Also, I don't base my stories off of everything that happens, so I may make up some story lines, of course :)

Word Count (including bold text): 1116

We've been in the car for about two hours now. Rick is driving the car that I am in, which is also carrying Maggie, Carol, Glenn, Daryl, and Carl. There are eight seats total in the car- two up front, three in the middle, and three in the back. It's not too bad, me and Carl are seated in the back, and Maggie, Glenn, and Carol are in the middle, while Daryl sits in the front.

The car ride is quiet. We're either all tired or lost in our thoughts. Or both. I look over at my best friend and see him staring out the window in deep thought. I must have been staring at him for too long, though, because he makes eye contact with me and I quickly look away, pretending I wasn't just admiring his face.

"What?" Carl asks softly.

I look over at him again. "Nothing," I lie. I've liked Carl for a while now, but he doesn't know, and I'd like to keep it that way because I know he doesn't like me back. I'm pretty sure he has a thing for Enid, and she's gorgeous and really sweet, so obviously I have no chance.

"Y/N you were just staring at me. I'm not stupid," he says.

"Sorry, just zoned out I guess," I lie again.

The outside world is getting dark, and soon I can't see a thing. I look at Maggie and Glenn, who are both asleep. Maggie rests on Glenn's shoulder. They're so cute. Carol also seems to be asleep since she's resting her head on the window. Minutes later the rest of our group in the car behind us flash their high beams and pull over, which causes Rick to also pull over. At this point everyone is awake in the car again. Rick and Daryl get out of the car to see what the problem is, and the rest of us in the car stare out the window trying to see as well, even though we know we won't figure anything out.

"What's going on?" I whisper to Carl.

"How the hell am I supposed to know?" Carl whispers back annoyed.

I'm confused by the sarcastic tone. Not gonna lie, it kind of hurt. Carl rarely speaks to me like that.

Rick makes his way back to the car and pokes his head in. "They've run out of gas. Looks like we're going to have to pile in here," Rick says. "We'll make it work," he adds after seeing our confused looks.

The rest of the group includes Enid, Michonne, Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene. Fortunately the car has a large trunk, which Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene will take. Michonne will sit in the back with Carl and I. This left Enid, and everyone was trying to figure out another seating arrangement.

After a couple of minutes of thought, Carl speaks up. "Y/N can sit with me, and Enid can take the other seat out back here."

At first I'm confused as to what Carl means by sitting with him, but then it finally hits me. "Wait what?" I whisper so only Carl can hear me. He glances at me but looks back at the group. The group nods in agreement. Everyone knows that Carl and I are best friends, so they don't think anything of it. I wouldn't, either, if I didn't like him so damn much.

As Enid climbs out back, Carl has his arms slightly open for me. "Carl..." I say. "Seriously? I'm going to crush you."

"No you're not, just come here so we can get going again."

I hesitantly sit down on Carl's lap sideways so I am facing the window with my knees to my chest. Within a millisecond Carl's arms wrap around my waist holding me so I don't fall as the car starts moving. After a couple of minutes some of the group seems to be asleep again.

"Carl what the hell were you thinking?" I whisper.

"You can't say you're not enjoying it," he whispers in my ear sending chills throughout my body. I don't answer and Carl laughs a little.

Finally I say, "you were just yelling at me and now you're like this?"

"First off, I wasn't yelling. Second, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, it just came out. I'm sorry, Y/N. I love you." Carl and I always tell each other we love each other as friends. However, I think I mean it in a different way.

"Love you too, Carl," I say as I roll my eyes. I'm still sitting up straight awkwardly, not sure how to position myself. I can feel my heart racing.

"You can lean on me, Y/N. You look extremely uncomfortable."

I am very uncomfortable so I lay on his chest as he hugs me tighter, resting his chin on the top of my head. I smile to myself, taking in Carl's scent.

"I have to tell you something," Carl whispers in my ear.

"Yeah?" I whisper back.

"I love you. Not in a friend way anymore. In a 'you're fucking perfect and I want to spend the rest of my life with you' way." His thumb strokes my arm as he says this.

"Carl?"

"Yeah?" He asks. I can tell he's nervous.

"I never thought I'd hear those words from you. I've loved you like that for a long time, I was just too scared to tell you. I thought you liked Enid."

"She's a great friend, but you... you're Y/N. You're so damn beautiful, and sweet, and cute, and fun, and-"

"Carl! Stop! You're too cute but I can't stand the compliments!"

"You deserve to hear them everyday for the rest of your life. I can't believe that in the middle of the apocalypse I still found my soulmate."

"What's gotten into you? I've never had any hint that you liked me."

"Love. That I love you. I just thought you never felt that way towards me. But something about having you so close right here- I just couldn't hold the truth back any longer." He kisses the top of my head. "I'm so happy I can finally tell you that I love you all the time."

"I'm so happy that the car ran out of gas," I reply.

Yay! Number two! I'm literally crying while writing these like wow imagine if this really happened how sweet that would be. Oh well. If you're reading this let me know how it was in the comments!