Roaming (Pt. 1)

Word Count (including bold text): 983

"Pat, come on! I'm bored! We won't get caught," I plead.

"Y/N curfew was," Patrick looks at his watch. "An hour and a half ago. Everyone's sleeping. Actually, I should be in my own cell right now! We're not going."

"Just a quick walk around the prison. Just once!" I say as Patrick starts to leave. "No, Pat, don't leave yet hold on!" I grab his wrist and pull him back into the cell. I need to get out of my cell and going for a quick walk will help me. "Grimes won't catch us as long as we're careful. Besides, what is he gonna do, feed us to the walkers?"

"No, he'd tell his dad. And then we'd get yelled at and all of our freedoms that we worked for would get taken away!"

"Fine. I'll go alone." I start to stand up but Pat stops me. 

"No! That's dangerous. You're not going alone."

"So you're coming with me?" I ask. 

"Well, no-"

"Fine. But don't be surprised if Enid happens to find out you like her-"

"Oh my God- Okay, okay! Okay! I'll go. But you said it will be quick, right?"

"Yes, Pat. I promise," I whisper as I head out of the cells into the first hallway. I've never been out of the cells at night before, I've always been too nervous to be caught by the people on watch. Tonight it happens to be Carl and Maggie. Maggie loves me and I love her so if I run into her there won't be any problem. And I'm not scared of Carl; he's a stuck up little bitch who thinks he owns the place because his dad is in charge. Fuck him. I could easily get away from him if I had to, and he would have no proof I was around here at night, anyway. 

We walk silently and cautiously down the different hallways for a couple minutes until I finally start speaking. "See Pat? There isn't even a single sign that people are on watch right now. They're probably on watch more towards the exits, honestly."

"Yeah, whatever. Are we done yet? Can we go back?" Patrick asks looking around anxiously.

"It's been like three minutes, I didn't mean that quick." I say. "There's literally no one around, let's keep going for a little bit longer." Patrick nods in reply and follows me as I keep moving. 

At the end of one hallway is a large window with metal bars surrounding it. I make my way quickly to the window taking in the darkness outside. I turn my head to Pat, who is also staring out the window. "What do you think Grimes would say if he caught us right now." I smile slightly and mock Carl's tone saying, "'I'm up all night tonight trying to keep you safe and you're out here in the hallway trying to get yourselves killed' Like, okay Carl, you're the only one keeping us safe." I start to laugh a little. 

"Or he would say something like 'only the strongest can handle being on guard, which is why you two weren't picked'," Pat replies. 

I start to laugh even more. "True! Or he would say 'I'm telling my dad in the morning you-'" 

"Or he would say 'why the hell are you out of bed almost two hours past curfew?" I hear a voice whisper in my ear making me jump. 

I quickly spin around to see Carl's frustrated face inches from my own. "Carl, I- That wasn't- I wasn't... I just-"

"Save it, Y/L/N." 

"Sorry. We'll go back to bed," I say as I turn around and motion for Pat to do the same. Carl grabs my wrist preventing me from leaving, and Pat stops turning to look.

"No. Nope. The hell do you think you're going after breaking the rules?" Carl whisper-yells. 

"Breaking the rules?" I raise my voice but Carl slaps his hand to my mouth. 

"Shh. Just because you're stupid ass is awake doesn't mean everyone else should be. I'm sure this whole 'rule-bending' thing was your idea, Y/N? Yeah, exactly. Pat, you can go. Y/N, stay here."

Patrick looks between me and Carl confused, not sure whether he should listen to Carl or stay with me. 

"It's okay Pat, you can go," I tell him. He wanders back into the darkness until I can't see him any longer. "Wait did you hear that?" I look in the direction behind Carl. He grabs his gun and whips around. Shocked that my plan actually worked, I took the limited time I had to make a full on run for it. I was right- if I made it back the cell, Carl would have no proof I was out of bed. I'm almost there I just have a couple more turns and then- 

My body hit the ground in an instant as I feel Carl's weight on top of my back. "Carl what the fu-"

"Shut it," he replies. 

I flip myself over trying to throw Carl off of me, but he's too strong and manages to pin my arms above my head and use his legs to hold my own down. "Son of a bitch," I mutter still trying to squirm free. "Let me go, Grimes."

"So you can run off again? I'm not stupid, Y/N. You got caught and now you have to deal with the consequences." 

"Oh, fuck you. 'Consequences'... you're acting like I committed a crime," I say. 

"I'd rather you be pissed doing extra chores or some shit than find a walker eating your guts on the floor."

"Okay," I say. "Lesson learned. Now you can you please get off of me?" 

"We'll see how I feel in a minute," Carl says. 

"What?" I question. 

"Maybe I like having you pinned beneath me." 

I started making this into one part but then decided it needs two. I can't wait to write the next part!