Why Didn't You Tell Me?

Warning: Small mentions of self-harm/suicide (like three sentences)

Fake characters I made up again! Still at Alexandria! I don't know I really love Alexandria and it's perfect for a lot of my imagines. Any other places I should write?

Word Count (including bold text): 1487

I hate this place. The only reason I stay and not run off is because of Carl and the rest of our small group. Even though there's nearly no one left on earth, I still get bullied in Alexandria. Why? I don't know. You would think that we would all work together, but instead I get torn apart by these teenagers my age. Jackson, Olivia, Cameron, Parker, and Lilah. I hate them so much. I've never done anything to them; they just apparently chose me as their target because they're bored or something. 

Or maybe I actually am what they call me...

I haven't told anyone about this, not even Carl, because I'm embarrassed and ashamed. I'm also nervous that he would break up with me for being weak or realizing they might be right about me. 

It's midday and I'm carrying a plate of food for lunch. I'm starving because I didn't eat breakfast since I was in a rush to get to my shift to take watch. Carl was on a run today so I sat down against a tree by myself. I take a bite into my apple and feel a hard smack on my head as my apple is snatched from my hand. I know immediately who's behind me and stand up grabbing my plate to go back home. Instead of letting me go, someone clutches the back of my shirt choking me for a second. I spin around to see Jackson. "The hell do you want?" I yell. 

The five of them laugh as Jackson rips the food out of my hands, dumps it on the ground, and stomps on it to make it inedible. "I'm just helping you lose weight, Y/N." 

Tears well in my eyes but I quickly wipe them away before they notice. "Okay, fine. You think I even care about what you have to say?" I try to act like I'm not intimidated, but inside I'm hurt and terrified. 

"Well you should," Jackson says. "How are you even still alive? With all that fat how do you run away from the walkers? I don't even know why Carl is still with a bitch like you. Probably feels bad for you, I mean you're about as ugly as a walker. That's probably why you're still alive; I guess they can't tell you apart from their own, huh?"

I don't say anything and bend down to pick the plate up. When I stretch out my arm to grab the plate Parker grabs my arm yanking me up. He flips my arm over holding me by the wrist and looks at my scars. He laughs and turns towards his friends pointing at my scars. "I guess you are just a bitch who can't handle herself. Why don't you do Carl and everyone else a favor and cut a little deeper next time? I wouldn't mind not seeing your face for the rest of my life."

I pull my arm away and glare at him. 

"Oh, ugly ass bitch is getting angry!" Lilah yells from the back which makes everyone burst into laughter again. 

"Leave me the fuck alone," I warn. 

"Who's gonna stop us? Who has ever stopped us? See, Y/N, no one cares about you," Jackson says, taking a step closer to me. I take a step back but he yanks me towards him with a fistful of my shirt. He reaches his hand back to signal Parker to hand him something. Parker pulls a pocket knife from his back pocket and hands it to Jackson. I gasp when he presses it roughly up to my neck. "Scared? We could end you with one... small... cut..." He drags the knife across my throat causing some blood to be drawn. I hide my pain and tears and try to act brave. "I think you need some more to match your arm-" 

All of a sudden Jackson is shoved backwards and the knife falls out of his hand. I gasp again and feel an arm push me back. Carl steps in front of me and punches Jackson in the face over and over and over again until he is a bloody pulp on the ground. The other four try to rip Carl off of Jackson but Carl grabs the knife that was lying on the ground and threatens the other four with it. "Try me," is all he says. They back off and turn away, and Carl wraps an arm around my waist leading me away from the disturbing scene. 

I feel heat radiating off of him and can feel his anger, and I'm scared he's going to break up with me at any moment now. 

"Fucking pieces of shit," Carl mumbles as we enter his house. He slams the door shut and drags me up the stairs into the bathroom. He lifts me up by the waist and places me on the counter, still not saying anything to me. Carl grabs some medical supplies from the cabinet and first wipes the blood away with a wet towel. I wince in pain as he applies rubbing alcohol to my neck and he rubs my thigh with his hand to calm me down. He gently lifts my chin up with his finger to see my cut at a better angle. Lastly, he applies a bandage to it gently and kisses me on the lips. Carl places both hands on my thighs this time and says, "Why?"

I shrug. "I don't know."

"How long have they been doing this to you?" Carl asks. 

I pause for a moment and then quietly say, "for a while."

"And you didn't fucking tell me?!" he yells. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper and start crying. He immediately wraps his arms around me as I cry into his shoulder. 

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault," he says softly. "I'm just fucking pissed at them. That they would do this to my girl."

"It- it was never that bad," I sobbed. "They- they usually... just hit me or something. Call me horrible things. Never drew blood before."

I can feel Carl shake his head as he rubs his hand up and down my back. "Why didn't you tell me, Y/N?" he asks again calmly.

"I- I thought you would break up with me because I was weak or because you would believe what they said... I was embarrassed."

"Nothing could ever make me leave you. Nothing. What did they say, love?" I shake my head and continue to cry into his shoulder. He moves away from me and makes me look at him. "Can you please tell me?" 

I hesitate but finally tell him. "They just... they made fun of my weight, told me I was ugly and kept comparing me to the walkers. They asked how you were 'still with a bitch like me'. They stole my food and just smashed it into the ground, they told me before how much they hated me and wished I was never born. And then they-" I hesitate again at this part. "They made fun of my scars and told me I would be better off if I just killed myself." This made me sob even harder, I was so ashamed. 

Carl angrily makes his way to the bathroom door but I jump off of the counter and grab his arm before he can leave. 

"Carl where are you going?"

"To murder them," he says. 

I shake my head. "Please just stay with me? I need you." I hug him and he tightens his grip around me. "I understand if you don't want to be with me anymore."

"I want to be with you forever. I don't care what they say. You're perfect to me, Y/N." He kisses the top of my head. "But they are not getting away with this. They hurt you, and that in itself is a great way to get murdered."

I giggle into his chest. 

"And I know you don't like talking about your scars, but please Y/N, I'm here for you always. Before you do anything, come to me. Don't let their words bring you down. They suck and they don't matter. They're nothing compared to you, okay?"

I nod. "Thank you, Carl. I love you."

"I love you, Y/N. And because I love you, they're going to be so sorry they ever did anything to you tomorrow."

"Carl, no!" I say. "I don't want you getting in trouble."

"At this point I don't give a shit. I'll make sure this never happens again. I will always be by your side, my beautiful girl." He kisses my forehead and smiles. "Come on, let's go get lunch."

I don't want this to happen but damn do I still want a Carl.