I'll Make You Better

Anotha one. Based this off Pinterest sentence(s). :) Also I am NOT done with these or almost done, I've just been super busy with school and work. 

"Just wait until tomorrow when Rick, Daryl, Maggie, and Glenn are back. They can help you," Beth had said. "Besides, you know Carl wouldn't like this."

I shook my head. "Beth I can do this. I want to prove to them I can do shit on my own. They're always helping me, but I want to show them I can help myself."

Beth sighed, knowing she couldn't stop me. "Just please don't get yourself killed."

I smiled. "Of course not. All I'm doing is fixing the fence, and then I'll be back. It won't take long and I'll be back in my cell before they even get back from the run." 

I grabbed my knife and gun from my cell and innocently walked out of the prison so I wouldn't be questioned. I jogged the rest of the way to the part of the fence that is caving in a little bit. All I had to do was lift those logs against it for support. I thought it really wouldn't be hard- I could do this on my own. 

There were a few walkers groaning from the other side of the fence, but I knew they wouldn't be able to knock the rest of it down. I lifted up the heavy log and shoved it underneath the caved-in part of the fence, hoisting it up. I felt satisfied and smiled when the first log stayed put. I bent down to pick the second log up, but it was heavier than the first. It rolled onto the ground and a walker pushed harder into the fence, making the first log fall down right on top of me. 

A searing pain filled my left thigh and I moaned in pain. "Fuck," I muttered. I peeked up to see if the fence was still standing- thank God it was- and pushed the log off of me to inspect the pain. My stomach flips and my eyes widen as I saw a thick branch lodged into my leg. I ripped my flannel off and wiped the blood around the wound, realizing I'd have to take it out. There's no way I would let anyone know what happened, I'd let it heal on its own. I took a couple deep breaths in and then quickly yanked the stick out, which caused me to scream into my hand. I quickly wrapped the flannel around my leg tightly and limped back to my cell, fortunate enough to not have passed Beth again. 

It's been a couple days since the incident and I had lied to Beth, saying I changed my mind and was waiting for help. My leg hurts like a bitch and I've been making excuses to not have to walk anywhere. I only get up at night so I can limp without anyone noticing. So far I've pretended I was sick, and I'm keeping up that act today as well. 

"You should go see Hershel," Glenn says, walking into my cell. 

"I'm fine," I lie, shaking my head. "I just need to rest."

Glenn sighs. "Y/N, you've been resting for days. At least get some medicine or something."

"No, it's okay. Thanks though." He exits the cell and I sit up on the edge of the bed, wincing in pain. 

I lift up the left leg of my sweatpants until I can see the blood-covered flannel wrapped around my wound. I slowly move the flannel, slap my hand over my mouth so I don't make a noise, and notice that it has gotten worse. Swollen, red, bloody, and covered in pus. Not a good sign, but I'm hoping it will go away soon. I try to put pressure on my leg but can't, and I start to panic. No, it's okay. Calm down, Y/N. It'll be okay. 

I breathe in and out, then move the flannel back in place and roll my pant leg back down. I jump when I see a figure in the doorway. Carl leans against the doorframe with his arms crossed. 

"How long have you been standing there?" I ask quietly.

"Longer than you'd like," he answers. "How long have you been covering that?"