Intimidated

Word Count (including bold text): 1757

Rick, my dad Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, Carl, and I are packed in the car making our way to some stores that hopefully have supplies. I'm pretty excited because this is my first run- Rick trusts me enough to take care of myself and my group. Rick and my dad sit up front, Michonne and Glenn are in the middle, and Carl and I are out back. I don't really know Carl too well. I've spoken to him a couple times, just sentences usually, but we've never had a full conversation. 

However, now we're squished into one seat together so our supplies can fit in the back along with stuff we find and gather. I'm lodged into the window side of the car and Carl is squashed against me and the box next to him. I'm always nervous around Carl- maybe I just feel intimidated by him- so I focus my attention out the window watching the trees and fields pass by. My legs are moved as much as they can to the side to try not to bother Carl (yeah, I'm definitely intimidated) but he makes no effort to be closer to the box and leave room for me. His arm rests on my leg and his shoulder is leaning into mine. I don't know why I'm so intimidated by him- maybe because I'm a nothing compared to him- but what he's doing does not make me feel any better. My heart just beats faster. 

Everyone's talking quietly and I hear Carl's voice in my ear. "So this is your first run?" He asks. 

I nod. 

"Don't screw it up," he whispers. I can't tell if he's joking or not so I just nod again and return to my window. 

After a while Rick parks the car at the end of a street filled with stores. We hop out of the car and Rick gives us instructions. "Michonne and Daryl, you two take these stores, Glenn and I will take those stores over there, and Carl and Y/N you take those down at the end, okay? Everyone meet back here in an hour." We split up into our groups and make our way to our assigned stores. 

Carl and I's happen to be at the very end of the street which meant some awkward silence and walking. When we reach the edge of our stores I keep walking to get to the very end so we can make our way back as we we gather supplies. "Where are you going?" I hear Carl say behind me. 

I stop and turn around. "I'm going to the end so we can make our way back down to the car while we get stuff."

"No, we're going in this store first. Check these ones then make our way down to those at the end," Carl demands. 

"No, we're going to the end first and then we'll come back down to these ones!" I say sternly. 

"Sweetheart, this is your first run. I can't even count how many I've been on. If there are walkers coming from down there and out the other stores we'll be trapped. These ones will allow us to at least run. You listen to me unless you want to die."

I roll my eyes but find it stupid to continue arguing so I just follow him into his store. We clear the store of walkers and start grabbing food, medicines, and other necessities before we move on to the next one. When we step outside I see a couple walkers about 30 feet from us. When they hear us they stumble towards our direction. As more turn their attention to us, more arrive from behind the stores. 

"Carl?" I whisper, looking at him. He has a concerned expression on his face. When we turn to look down the street in the direction of our group we see even more walkers- more than the six of us could take on at once. 

"Follow me," he whispers quickly taking my hand. He leads us behind the stores with walkers still slowly chasing us. He sees a clear path in the opposite direction of our group and leads me along that way. When we reach the end the road is packed with walkers. How did we not see this before? The grumbling and moaning of the walkers get louder as more and more are approaching us. I panic and I could feel Carl's hand get sweaty as he is trying to think what to do.