Take It

We are Thriving. We are Living. We are not Dead Inside. We have Recovered from Carl's death. We are Still Crying. 

Find the truth in those lies ^

When we first reached the prison Daryl would let me go with him when he went hunting. With him, I learned how to use a crossbow, a bow and arrow, and how to have an accurate shot with a gun. 

Now I've been hunting by myself, remembering everything I have learned with Daryl. However, Carl decides to also go hunting in my area of the woods, leaving hardly any animals for me. I go hunting everyday and sometimes I see Carl trudge through the woods with squirrels, deer, or birds. 

At first I was pissed, but then I decided to go very early in the morning or just before sunset, and then purposefully walk past Carl with the animals I got, making it a point to prove that I'm better than him. This has turned into an ongoing 'war' where we always try to one-up each other with our hunting skills. 

In the past two weeks I haven't shot anything. I haven't even seen as much as a bird. But I always see Carl carrying his damn kills with pride and Daryl saying, "You're getting better than me, kid."

Today I've decided that I am staying in the woods until I get something no matter how late it gets. I've been under these trees since sunrise, and I'll stay here for two days if I have to. I'm just so sick of Carl stealing all of my kills. 

I've been climbing trees, hiding behind bushes, and wandering around for hours now, and I slide down against a tree feeling the heat radiating off of my skin. I'm covered in sweat but I refuse to give up- I am only taking a break. Besides, an animal can still come out even if I'm just sitting in the open. 

I take a drink of water, shove it back in my backpack, and stand up ready to continue my hunt, bow and arrow in hand. I shrink down behind a bush carefully observing the trees and ground for any sign of movement. 

Finally- finally - I spot a squirrel rummaging around the ground, oblivious to the world around it. I smirk and aim my bow at the squirrel, excited to finally be able to get something. I used to get bored of finding squirrels everywhere, but ever since Carl-

A gunshot with a silencer sounds and the squirrel immediately fell to the ground, dead. My eyes widen in surprise then I quickly turn my head to the source of the sound and see Carl with a smug grin on his face, staring directly into my eyes. 

I immediately push myself up to stand and storm over to him. "What the actual fuck? That was my damn squirrel and you fucking- you- why? Son of a bitch!" I shout. 

"You have some colorful language when you're mad."

"Oh, fuck off!" I scream. "You couldn't just let me have this squirrel? You take all of my other kills and then you do this so you can get some more attention? I've been out here since sunrise! Sunrise, Carl! You have absolutely no respect, asshole! The one thing I'm good at is hunting, and it's something I can help the group with but when you come in and do this shit, I look useless!" Tears of anger start forming in my eyes and I try to wipe them away.

"Okay, first you need to lower your voice before walkers hear. Second, I honestly didn't know this meant that much to you. I didn't mean to make you upset I just... I don't really know. I guess I was just jealous of you," Carl replies softly. "You can take it." He gestures to the squirrel.

I shake my head and laugh. "Wouldn't that ruin your ego? I'm not taking it when it's now yours. I play fair."

Carl sighs and goes to pick up the squirrel. When he turns back around he freezes and stares behind me.