Training (Part 1)

I didn't even think about making this one two parts until I was in the middle of writing it. Then I thought, 'this is gonna need more than one part'. 

Word Count (including bold text): 1971

"With the threat of the Governor," Rick shouts out to the group. "Everyone's gonna have to learn how to protect yourself. This means, starting tomorrow, we will set up groups and a... an 'instructor', will show you how to use the weapon. They'll show you the ropes. Each day will be split in half for everyone. Half of you will go into training in the morning, the other half in the afternoon." 

"An instructor?" I say to Patrick after Rick's speech as we walk back to the garden we were taking care of. "It's the end of the world and we have instructors?"

"Y/N, I don't think he meant it like that. What else would you call them?"

"I mean, 'someone to teach you' would work better than 'instructor'," I say.

"The use of 'instructor' pained Rick, too. I don't think he wanted to say it but it was the first thing that came to him."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." I grab a watering can and start pouring the water on the plants. This garden will need a fuck ton of water. "What kind of weapons do you think he was talking about? Nearly all of us can use a gun."

"Maybe he meant like... knives, or axes. You know, melee weapons. Combat shit."

"Great. The Governor is gonna shoot us from 50 feet away and he expects us to stab him from that distance?"

"Y/N, it's just for extra safety. If he or someone else captures you, boom, stab, done. You can throw knives and axes, too!" Patrick responds. 

We finish up with the garden for the day and head back up to the prison. It's dinner, so I head to the main area with Patrick to get some food. As soon as I walk into the main area I'm stopped by Carl standing next to a table. The rest of the area is empty except for Glenn and Rick. We're the first ones done, I guess. 

"Did you sign up?" Carl asks us.

"Pardon?" I say.

"Did you sign up?" This time he points at the table next to him which carries a paper and a pen. The paper has a list of names, A.M. and P.M., and each name has some empty lines next to it where other names would go. 

"What's this?" I ask.

"The training tomorrow. And the training that will continue. Choose an instructor under morning or evening, then write your name in one of the spaces."

"I know how it works, Carl. But I don't care, I'm starving." I start to walk past him but he holds his arm out so I can't continue.

"Seriously? I'm not signing up for this dumb training! I already know how to defend myself!" I argue. 

"It's required if you want to eat," Carl says. 

Patrick puts a hand on my shoulder. "Y/N, just sign up and then we can eat."

I will not give Carl the satisfaction of him being the leader's son, so I continue to refuse. "No. I'm not signing up, I'm going to eat." 

I start to walk away when I hear Carl mutter, "I'll just sign you up then."

"I don't give a shit," I spit back. I'll check it later. I grab my food and sit against the wall with Patrick next to me. "I bet he put me in the morning with Carol. He knows I don't like her," I say with a mouthful of food. "Did you sign up?"

"I just told him to put me wherever you're going."

I nod and take a sip of water. At this point more and more people are starting to trickle in, each of them signing up for a different spot. "He's definitely putting us with Carol. Or Daryl. I like Daryl but sometimes he scares me." Patrick nods in agreement. "List was empty. No names since no one is here yet. That means he can really fuck with us; put us where we don't want to go..."