Back Home

Request by @scrlttz (Sofia) ! Thanks so much for the request, another super fun one to write! This is the longest one I've written! :)

Also, I decided to watch Carl's death scene on YouTube before I rewatch the episode (I'm rewatching TWD) thinking the more I watch it the easier it will be, yeah that was awful. I had to take a whole break from my life for like a half hour so I could cry. 

Word Count (including bold text): 3018

"Hey," Carl says, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. 

I look at him and smile. "Hey." I rest my head on his shoulder as we trudge through the woods following Daryl, Rick, and Michonne. We're going hunting and haven't quite made it to our destination yet which is why Daryl isn't yelling at us to shut up. 

"You need to stop," he whispers in my ear. 

I look up at him confused and slightly hurt. "What?"

"You need to stop," he repeats.

"Stop what?"

"Being so adorable," he smiles, kissing the top of my head. 

I laugh and say, "Carl you scared the shit out of me."

"I know," he says with a smirk, squeezing my shoulder. 

Suddenly I hear a groan to the left of me. I turn my head and see a couple walkers in the distance. "Rick?" I whisper. He looks at me and I point to the walkers. 

"We should be fine for now," he replies. "Just stick together."

I nod and we keep walking. I keep checking the walkers to make sure they don't get too close. Carl notices and assures me, "They're too far, we'll be fine."

"I know," I whisper back, even though I really don't know. After another few minutes of walking I look over and see a herd of walkers making their way towards us. Where the hell did they come from? "Rick, there's more," I point out. 

"Shit," he mumbles as he sees all of them. "We have to go, there's no way all of us can take them on."

No one argues and we start running back through the woods, but more and more are closing in on us. 

Carl grabs my hand. "Make sure I can see you. Stay in front of me." 

I start to panic but Daryl finds a way to try to sneak past them, as long as we do it quickly. Many gunshots are firing and we stab the ones that get too close to us. I hear a couple gunshots in the distance, but I look and see our group is all together. That's when I feel a sharp pain in my chest and instantly fall to the ground. I'm stunned for several moments and then I reach my hand over to where the pain is and feel warm, sticky blood coat my hand. "Carl?" I try to say but it only comes out in a hoarse whisper. A couple of walkers stumble over to me, and I'm thinking this is it. This is how it ends. But then they fall to the ground after Carl shoots them in the head. 

"Sofia!" Carl yells, kneeling down beside me and noticing the hole in my chest. "No, no, no, no, no! Sofia, oh my God. We have to get you back, you're going to make it." Tears form in his eyes and I can tell he hopes I make it. Carl tries to scoop me up but Rick tugs on his shoulder. "Dad? Can you help me we have to bring her back!"

Rick's face just drops and it looks like he's trying to find words. "Carl..." he trails off. "We have to go."

"What? We can't just leave her, Dad! We can't, help me!" Carl tries to pick me up again but he's too much in shock to lift me. 

"Carl! We have to go!"

Carl starts crying now and he looks at me. Rick starts pulling him away and holds him back from me as he keeps yelling.