Flashback 7 - Violet's birth

Rochester, New York, October 29th 1919

The first floor of the Hale residence was quiet. On the second floor, in her bedroom, was Rosalie Lilian Hale, only 4 years old, sitting on her bed playing with a doll. Rosalie was anxious, for today was the day her new brother or sister would be born.

In the couple's bedroom, Evelyn Hale was lying in bed, already in labor to have her new biological son or daughter. Ever since she had met Rosalie, Evelyn had treated her as her own daughter, in time, Rosalie could no longer even remember her birth mother and treated Evelyn as her real mother. Evelyn was with a midwife to help.

On the second floor, although quiet, in the office was Robert Hale, awaiting the birth of another son, yes, he hoped and wanted the next child to be a boy.

After a few hours, a cry was heard throughout the house. A new member of the Hale family had been born. Rosalie had always been very polite, so she stayed in her room until someone allowed her to go into her parents' room and meet her new brother or sister. Robert, very tense and anxious, had immediately rushed into the room as soon as he heard the child's cry.

Robert entered the room and saw his wife holding a baby in her arms, now calm.

"So, what is it?" he asked.

Evelyn gave him a worried look before answering him. He noticed the look and had already understood.

"Do you want to hold her?" she asked. But Robert had already left the room, without saying a word.

Rose couldn't contain her anxiety to meet her new brother or sister, although her father really wanted it to be a boy, Rose hoped from the bottom of her little heart that it would be a girl, so they could play together and for Rose to become a great big sister, who would always be there for whatever her sister needed.

Rosalie opened the door of her room, when she opened it, she saw her father coming out of his room without any expression. Then Rosalie, on her little legs, ran to her parents' room. She knocked on the door and Evelyn allowed her in. Rosalie entered the room, extremely excited.

"Hello, Honey, would you want to meet your sister?" Evelyn asked. At least Rosalie wanted to be a girl.

Before climbing on the bed, Rosalie said, "I have a sister!" And Rose smiled, the biggest smile she had ever given since Evelyn met her.

Rose climbed into bed and stood next to Evelyn.

"Do you want to hold her, Pumpkin?"

"Yes!"

Evelyn carefully placed her daughter on her older sister's lap. Rose gently let a tear from her face. As soon as the little girl was on Rose's lap, the older sister brought her face close to the newborn's forehead and gave her a kiss.

"I'l always protect you, little one." she whispered. "What's her name, Mommy?"

"I haven't decided yet, but her middle name will be Abigail, to honor my sister."

After some time viewing one of the most beautiful images she had ever seen, her daughter holding her other daughter, Evelyn had an idea.

"Rose, I was thinking, would you want to name her?"

"Really?" Rose asked, not believing it, she could even choose her sister's name, as she did with her dolls.

"Yes. So, do you have a name in mind?"

"My favorite flower is violet. I think I like Violet."

"Violet. Violet Abigail Hale. It's a beautiful name, Rose. She'll be Violet then."

And that day was the happiest day of Rosalie Lilian Hale's life.