Pregnancy arguments

We went back into the house. The whole family was watching us, thank goodness they hadn't overheard the conversation, otherwise Rosalie would already be trying to kill Edward and Jake.

"We're going to let Jacob and Bella speak privately," Edward suggested.

"Over my pile of ashes," Rose spoke.

Edward ignored her and addressed to Bella.

"Bella, Jacob wants to talk to you. Are you afraid to be alone with him?"

Bella looked at Jacob, confused. Then she looked at Rose.

"Rose, it's fine. Jake's not going to hurt us. Go with Edward." Bella said.

"It might be a trick," Rose warned.

"I don't see how. Violet can stay with me, she probably already knows what Jake wants to talk to me about."

So Rose calmed herself down knowing at least I'd be with Bella.

"Carlisle and I will always be in your sight, Rosalie. We're the ones she's afraid of." Edward said.

"No. No, Edward. I'm not..." Bella murmured.

"I didn't mean it that way, Bella. I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

"Everyone. Please." Edward spoke, motioning toward the door.

Rose stayed by the door, hestitating.

"Rose. I want you to go." Bella said.

Finally, Edward and Rose left. I sat next to Bella, who snuggled into me a little, as I was the only one in the family who had human warmth, and Jake sat in front of us, who took Bella's hands and held them.

"Thanks, Jake. That feels good."

"I'm not going to lie, Bells. You're hideous." Jake said.

"I know. I'm scary-looking."

"Thing-from-the-swamp scary." I spoke.

Bella laughed.

"It's so good having you here. It feels nice to smile. I don't know how much more drama I can stand."

Jake and I rolled our eyes.

"Okay, okay. I bring it on myself."

"Yeah, you do. What're you thinking, Bells? Seriously!" Jake said.

"Did he ask you to yell at me?" Bella asked him.

"Sort of. Though I can't figure why he thinks you'd listen to me. You never have before."

We stayed in silence for a while.

"Did he really ask you to talk to me?"

"To talk some sense into you. There's a battle that's lost before it starts." Jake said.

"So why did you agree?"

Jake didn't answer.

"It'll work out, you know. I believe that." Bella spoke.

"Is dementia one of your symptoms?" Jake snapped.

Bella and I laughed.

"Maybe. I'm not saying things will work out easily, Jake. But how could I have lived through all that I've lived through and not believe in magic by this point? Look at Violet, she's a witch!"

"Magic?" he asked, confused.

"Especially for you. More than anyone else, you've got some magic waiting to make things right for you."