Flashback 8 - Brothers' birth

Rochester, New York, November 22th 1923

Violet Hale and Rosalie Hale, both aged four and eight respectively, were anxiously awaiting the birth of another brother or sister. While this time Robert Hale was beside his wife, Evelyn Hale, in his bedroom awaiting the birth of the child, Rosalie and Violet were anxiously awaiting in their bedroom for the birth of the family member.

"What do you want it to be, Vi?" Rose asked her little sister.

"I want a sister!" Violet said excitedly.

"Why? Mommy and daddy already have two girls, don't you think it would be cool to be a boy this time?" Rose asked. She was always a perfect big sister, responsible, protective and loyal.

"Because I want a little sister so I can treat her the way you treat me. I want to have a sister so I can play with her." little Violet answered.

"You can play even if it's a boy. It would be cool to have a boy now so he could play with us, so than when we're playing he can be my son. And you can treat him or her even if it's a boy, Vi." Rose said, trying to console her sister, already trying to prepare her knowing that there would be a great possibility that it would be a boy this time.

After a while the sisters heard a cry, but continued in the room, knowing that they could only meet the baby when they were allowed to. The two decided to peek through the bedroom door to see what was going on, and soon Robert came to open the door to their room.

"You can visit your mother now."

The two of them ran to their parents' room. They waited for Evelyn to let them in, and then they climbed on the bed and admired the little thing in their mother's arms.

"Girls this is your brother!" Evelyn spoke. "Who wants to hold him first?"

"Me!" Rose said. Violet stood with a frown beside Rose, and Evelyn noticed.

"What is it, Love?" Evelyn asked.

"I wanted a little sister not a brother."

"You already have a sister, Violet. Now you have both! I'm sure you'll love having a brother too!" Evelyn said, trying to console her youngest daughter.

"Violet, hold him! Look how cute he is!" Rose said, passing the baby to Violet.

"What's his name, Mommy?" Rose asked.

"Violet, Honey, would you like to choose a name for your brother?"

"I don't know how to choose boy names, Mommy..."

"How about Samuel?" Rose suggested.

"Samuel is beautiful! Samuel will be, then. Samuel Robert Hale."

Rochester, New York, March 16th 1925

In the Hale residence, there were already three children, Rosalie, age 10, Violet, age 6, and the youngest, Samuel, age 2. Evelyn was giving birth to her last son or daughter. Robert Hale was waiting for the birth in his office, as he already had a beautiful daughter who drew attention wherever he went, and a son who would be his heir, he didn't care anymore what would come, but of course, he still hoped it would be another boy.

Evelyn, asked her daughters to stay with her during the birth, while Samuel stayed with his father in the office, as he was too small.

After much pain and screaming, Rosalie and Violet witnessed the birth of their baby brother.

"Another boy, Mommy!" Violet said. Evelyn didn't know if her daughter was complaining or happy that it was another boy.

"Do you want to hold him, honey?"

"I do." Violet said, carefully she held her new brother in her arms.

"I'd like you two to name him. One of you can choose his first name and the other his middle name."

"Mommy, how about Wiliam, just like grandpa's name?" Violet suggested.

"That's a great idea, Honey! What about you, Rose?"

"Benjamin?"

"A beautiful name! Benjamin William Hale it is!"