The Volturi came for a visit

As the four Volturi got closer, I noticed that Jane and Alec reminded me a lot of someone, mostly Alec. It made me very intrigued.

"I don't understand." Jane spoke.

"She has surrendered." Edward said, he was talking about the only newborn that was left, the girl seemes to be my age.

"Surrendered?" Jane asked.

"Carlisle gave her the option." Edward answered.

"There are no options for those who break the rules."

"That's in your hands. As long as she was willing to halt her attack on us, I saw no need to destroy her. She was never taught." Carlisle spoke.

"That is irrelevant." Jane said.

"As you wish."

"Aro hoped that we would get far enough west to see you, Carlisle. He sends his regards."

"I would appreciate it if you would convey mine to him." Carlisle said.

"Of course. It appears that you've done our work for us today... for the most part. Just out of professional curiosity, how many were there? They left quite a wake of destruction in Seattle.

"Eighteen, including this one."

"Eighteen?" she repeated.

"All brand-new. They were unskilled."

"All? Then who was their creator?"

"Her name was Victoria." Edward answered.

"Was?" she asked. "This Victoria — she was in addition to the eighteen here?"

"Yes. She had only one other with her. He was not as young as this one here, but no older than a year."

"Twenty. Who dealt with the creator?"

"I did." Edward answered.

Before Jane says anything, her brother, Alec, went forward and spoke something extremely low in her ear.

"Yes, I was already forgetting, thank you for reminding me. The last time you visited us in Volterra, Aro was fascinated with something he had seen in your mind, he asked us to meet her today. Where is the girl?" Jane said.

She was talking about me. My whole family was confused, only Edward knew what that was about. He looked at me, making a sign so I could get closer.

"Jane, this is Violet, my sister." Edward spoke cautiously.

"You smell just like us. That's odd." she said.

I stopped manipulating my scent.

"What was that?"

"One of Violet's gifts is manipulating smell." Edward told her.

"Aro will be delighted to meet you. He's really interested in you, I think he wants you to join us." Jane said. "Going back to what's important. You there. Your name." she was talking to the newborn.

The girl gave Jane a look. Jane smiled back, and then the girl started screaming, her body distorted, rigidly. Then the screams stopped.

"Your name."

"Bree." the girl gasped.

Jane smiled and the girl screamed again.

"She'll tell you anything you want to know. You don't have to do that." Edward spoke.

"Oh, I know." Jane said. "Bree. Is his story true? Were there twenty of you?"

"Nineteen or twenty, maybe more, I don't know!" the girl answered quickly.

"And this Victoria — did she create you?"

"I don't know. Riley never said her name. I didn't see that night... it was so dark, and it hurt..." Bree answered. "He didn't want us to be able to think of her. He said that our thoughts weren't safe...

"Tell me about Riley. Why did he bring you here?"

"Riley told us that we had to destroy the strange yellow-eyes here." Bree told her. "He said it would be easy. He said that the city was theirs, and they were coming to get us. He said once they were gone, all the blood would be ours. He gave us her scent." she pointed in Bella's direction. "He said we would know that we had the right coven, because she would be with them. He said whoever got to her first could have her."

"It looks like Riley was wrong about the easy part." Jane noticed.

"I don't know what happened. We split up, but the others never came. And Riley left us, and he didn't come to help like he promised. And then it was so confusing, and everybody was in pieces. I was afraid. I wanted to run away. That one" she said, looking at Carlisle. "said they wouldn't hurt me if I stopped fighting."

"Ah, but that wasn't his gift to offer, young one. Broken rules demand a consequence." Jane said. "Are you sure you got all of them? The other half that split off?"

"We split up, too." Carlisle spoke.

"I can't deny that I'm impressed. I've never seen a coven escape this magnitude of offensive intact. Do you know what was behind it? It seems like extreme behavior, considering the way you live here. And why was the girl the key?"

"Victoria held a grudge against Bella." Edward spoke.

"This one seems to bring out bizarrely strong reactions in our kind."

"Would you please not do that?"

"Just checking. No harm done, apparently." Jane said. "Well, it appears that there's not much left for us to do. Odd. We're not used to being rendered unnecessary. It's too bad we missed the fight. It sounds like it would have been entertaining to watch."

"Yes. And you were so close. It's a shame you didn't arrive just a half hour earlier. Perhaps then you could have fulfilled your purpose here." Edward said.

"Yes. Quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" Jane said. "Felix."

"Wait. We could explain the rules to the young one. She doesn't seem unwilling to learn. She didn't know what she was doing."

"Of course. We would certainly be prepared to take responsibility for Bree." Carlisle spoke.

"We don't make exceptions. And we don't give second chances. It's bad for our reputation. Which reminds me... Caius will be so interested to hear that you're still human, Bella. Perhaps he'll decide to visit."

"The date is set. Perhaps we'll come to visit you in a few months." Alice spoke.

"It was nice to meet you, Carlisle — I'd thought Aro was exaggerating. Well, until we meet again..." Jane said.

"Take care of that, Felix. I want to go home."

And then, the big guy who must be Felix, went to kill Bree.