Newborns

It was Tuesday, normally I would go to school with Alice and Edward, but because of the murders in Seattle, Alice was having problems with her visions, and Edward and Bella would not go to school, and I was allowed to leave the house with only one of them with me. Carlisle, Esme, Jasper were watching the news and I was sitting with them reading my book when Bella and Edward arrived. Alice was sitting on one of the steps of the staircase, her hands on her face, discouraged. Emmett came through the kitchen door just as Edward and Bella entered.

"Hey, Edward. Ditching, Bella?" Emmett asked.

"We both are," Edward reminded him.

"Yes, but it's her first time through high school. She might miss something."

Edward rolled his eyes, ignoring Emmett. He tossed the newspaper to Carlisle.

"Did you see that they're considering a serial killer now?" Edward asked.

Carlisle sighed.

"They've had two specialists debating that possibility on CNN all morning."

"We can't let this go on."

"Let's go now. I'm dead bored." Emmett said.

A hiss echoed down the stairway from upstairs.

"She's such a pessimist," Emmett murmured.

Edward agreed.

"We'll have to go sometime."

Rosalie descended the stairs slowly. She was expressionless.

"I'm concerned. We've never involved ourselves in this kind of thing before. It's not our business. We aren't the Volturi." Carlisle spoke.

"I don't want the Volturi to have to come here," Edward said. "It gives us so much less reaction time."

"And all those innocent humans in Seattle. It's not right to let them die this way." Esme said.

"I know," Carlisle sighed.

"Oh," Edward said, turning to Jasper. "I didn't think of that. I see. You're right, that has to be it. Well, that changes everything."

Edward read Jasper's mind. We all looked at Edward, confused.

"I think you'd better explain to the others. What could be the purpose of this?"

In less than a second Alice was beside Bella.

"What is he rambling about?" she asked Jasper. "What are you thinking?"

Jasper didn't like the spotlight. He looked at everyone, reading every face, then his eyes paused on Bella.

"You're confused,"

"We're all confused," Emmett said.

"You can afford the time to be patient. Bella should understand this, too. She's one of us now." Jasper spoke. "How much do you know about me, Bella?"

"Not much," she admitted.

Jasper stared at Edward, and they both exchanged glances. Jasper wanted to tell her about his past.

"No. I'm sure you can understand why I haven't told her that story. But I suppose she needs to hear it now." Edward said.

All of us had already heard his story, except Bella. Carlisle and Emmett went back to pay attention on the TV. Alice sat close to Esme's feet. I went back to reading the book I was reading before they arrived, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Not long after I noticed Jasper finished telling his backstory and everyone was talking.

"What can we do?" Carlisle asked.

"If we want to avoid the Volturi's involvement, we will have to destroy the newborns, and we will haveto do it very soon." Jasper spoke. "I can teach you how. It won't be easy in the city. The young ones aren't concerned about secrecy, but we will have to be. It will limit us in ways that they are not. Maybe we can lure them out."

"Newborns?" I asked, back to reality.

"Where was your head while we were talking about it?" Edward asked me.

"In Hogwarts." I said, showing him the cover of the book.

Bella smirked. I went back to the book, but I stopped reading it again when Carlisle spoke.

"We'll need you to teach us, Jasper. How to destroy them."

"Wait, so you guys are really going to fight those newborns?" I asked, excitedly.

"Yes, we don't have other options." Carlisle answered.

"I'll fight with you."

"No, Violet. You don't have the strength and speed enough to fight hand-to-hand with them."

"Who said I would fight hand-to-hand?"

There was silence for some seconds. Jasper was thinking.

"Violet, we could really use you." he said. Everyone looked at him like he was crazy or something. "Your powers. We could use them in battle. You manipulate scents, don't you?"

"Yeah I do... But that would affect everyone, if I manipulated scents so it could smell human blood, you would feel that too."

"We still could use your powers. You telekinesis and your plant manipulation, fire, air, electricity, that would help us and we would have an advantage."

"How would we be in advantage with that?" Carlisle asked him.

"The newborns don't know about witches." Jasper answered.

"It's still not safe if she stays close to where the fight will be, when they realize her smell they'll attack her."

"That's not a problem. Who said I would be on the ground?" I said, smirking.

"How?" Carlisle asked.

"I can fly with a broom. And I can use a inivisibility cloak, so no one will know where I will be."

"You really can fly with brooms and be inivisible?" Bella asked.

"Yeah"

I was so excited, I would be fighting against a bunch of newborn vampires.