Maternal instincts

I was asleep, it's been a while since I haven't had a good night of sleep. In my dreams, Jake, in his wolf form, came by.

"Everything is fine."

I suddenly woke up. My dream was actually one of my visions. I got up and looked at my huge window. Outside there was a reddish brown wolf, Jake. That's when it hits me, the other night when he got out of my house, Jake heard a howl, something must've happened, but it shouldn't be anything concerning since Jake told me everything was okay.

I quickly got dressed and got down to greet Jake.

When I opened the door he was already there, but he was way dressing better. I noticed he was wearing Emmett's clothes, since his shorts were ruined due to his last transformation.

"Hey, Jake." I said, giving him hug. "I just need to say that you're really charming in these clothes..."

He looked at me with a frown.

"Was this your idea, Doll?" he asked me.

It's been so long since he last called me that...

"You called me doll again... I've missed that. No, I didn't give you those clothes, although I regret that I didn't think of it sooner... You really look good in those tan pants and that white button-down shirt. If you hadn't already had an imprint on me I would even consider going out with you like that!"

He chuckled. We walked inside and I closed the front door.

We both have noticed the changes in the living room. It was normal again, and the TV was on, but no one was paying attention. Carlisle and Esme stood by the back windows, which were open to the river. Alice, Jasper and Emmett were probably on the second floor, because they were nowhere to be seen. Bella was on the couch, now there was only one tube hooked into her, and an IV hanging behind the back of the sofa. Rose was near her, cross-legged on the ground by her head. Edward sat at the other end of the couch, Bella's feet in his lap. When we walked in he smiled for either me or Jake.

Bella didn't hear us arriving, she just noticed when Edward was looking at us, and she smiled as well. She had more energy, her face lighting up. The last time I've seen her look this excited was at her wedding.

"They just wanted to talk," Jake mumbled. "No attack on the horizon."

"Yes," Edward answered. "I heard most of it."

Although Edward and I had telepathy, our gifts worked differently. My telepathy, witch's telepathy, is more controlled, most times we can control, only reading someone's mind when we want to. Edward's gift wasn't like that, I think it worked more with his emotions rather than his rationality, so it was harder to control, however his gift had greater ranges. Us witches could only read someone's mind up to a certain distance, and it couldn't be too far. Edward, apparently, could read minds miles away.

"How?" Jake asked.

"I'm hearing you more clearly—it's a matter of familiarity and concentration. Also, your thoughts are slightly easier to pick up when you're in your human form. So I caught most of what passed out there." Edward spoke.

"Oh. Good. I hate repeating myself."

"I'd tell you to go get some sleep, but my guess is that you're going to pass out on the floor in about six seconds, so there's probably no point." Bella said.

Jake was about to turn when Rosalie spoke.

"Where's the flood, mutt?"

"You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool." he said.

Edward and I laughed. The joke was a bit mean, even more that I was also blonde. Jake left.

Edward was getting up when Bella asked him something.

"Where are you going?"

"There was something I forgot to say to him."

"Let Jacob sleep—it can wait."

I agreed with Bella, he looked terrible.

"It will only take a moment."

He got up and went to Jake, I followed him.

"Jeez, what now?"

"I'm sorry," he said, but then he hesitated. "When you were speaking to Sam's delegates earlier, I was giving a play-by-play for Carlisle and Esme and the rest. They were concerned—"

"Look, we're not dropping our guard. You don't have to believe Sam like we do. We're keeping our eyes open regardless."

"No, no, Jacob. Not about that. We trust your judgment. Rather, Esme was troubled by the hardships this is putting your pack through. She asked me to speak to you privately about it."

"Hardships?"

"The homeless part, particularly. She's very upset that you are all so... bereft."

Jake snorted. "We're tough. Tell her not to worry"

"She'd still like to do what she can. I got the impression that Leah prefers not to eat in her wolf form?"

"And?" Jake demanded.

"Well, we do have normal human food here, Jacob. Keeping up appearances, and, of course, for Violet and Bella. Leah is welcome to anything she'd like. All of you are."

"I'll pass that along."

"Leah hates us." I spoke. It was nothing but the truth, and I think she especially hated me.

"So?"

"So try to pass it along in such a way as to make her consider it." I said, thought I didn't know anything about what Esme and Edward had talked.

"If you don't mind." Edward added.

"I'll do what I can."

"And then there's the matter of clothes." Edward remembered.

"Oh yeah. Thanks."

"Well, we're easily able to help out with any needs there. Alice rarely allows us to wear the same thing twice. We've got piles of brand-new clothes that are destined for Goodwill, and I'd imagine that Leah is fairly close to Esme's size..."

"Not sure how she'll feel about bloodsucker castoffs. She's not as practical as I am."

"I trust that you can present the offer in the best possible light. As well as the offer for any other physical object you might need, or transportation, or anything else at all. And showers, too, since you prefer to sleep outdoors. Please... don't consider yourselves without the benefits of a home."

Of course this was all Esme's idea.

"That's, er, nice of you. Tell Esme we appreciate the, uh, thought. But the perimeter cuts through the river in a few places, so we stay pretty clean, thanks."

"If you would pass the offer on, regardless."

"Sure, sure."

"Thank you."

Esme obviously kept her maternal instincts from when she was a human. Besides keeping them, they were improved when she turned into a vampire, so that's why most time she was really protective of her children.