Does Charlie know the truth?

Edward and Bella were given a house of their own as a gift by Esme. They spent the whole night there and the next day they came to our house. They left Renesmee with us for a while, I can't imagine what they had done alone in their own home...

I was with Ness on my lap and Rose was playing with her when Bella got near us.

"How long has she been up?"

"Just a few minutes," I said.

"We would have called you soon. She's been asking for you—demanding might be a better description. Esme sacrificed her second-best silver service to keep the little monster entertained." Rose said, smiling.

"We didn't want to... er, bother you." I said.

Rose and I bit our lips trying not to laugh.

"We'll get your room set up right away," Bella told Renesmee. "You'll like the cottage. It's magic. Thank you, Esme. So much. It's absolutely perfect."

Esme had arranged everything in their new house. Before she could respond, Emmett was laughing, loudly.

"So it's still standing?" he asked. "I would've thought you two had knocked it to rubble by now. What were you doing last night? Discussing the national debt?"

Bella almost attacked him, but she controlled herself, this time.

"Where're the wolves today?" she asked.

"Jacob took off this morning pretty early and Seth followed him out," I said.

"What was he so upset about?" Edward asked.

Renesmee, who was in Bella's lap, was handed off to Rose. It was time to feed her.

"I don't know—or care," Rose grumbled. "He was watching Nessie sleep, his mouth hanging open like the moron he is, and then he just jumped to his feet without any kind of trigger—that I noticed, anyway—and stormed out. I was glad to be rid of him. The more time he spends here, the less chance there is that we'll ever get the smell out."

I grimaced at her.

"Rose," Esme chided gently.

"I suppose it doesn't matter. We won't be here that much longer." Rose said.

"I still say we should go straight to New Hampshire and get things set up," Emmett said. "Bella's already registered at Dartmouth. Doesn't look like it will take her all that long to be able to handle school. I'm sure you'll ace your classes... apparently there's nothing interesting for you to do at night besides study."

Rose and I giggled.

"What is he doing? What is that dog doing that has erased my schedule for the entire day? I can't see anything! No!" Alice said, then she looked at Bella's outfit. "Look at you! You need me to show you how to use your closet!"

Alice had chosen all Bella's clothes for her.

"He talked to Charlie. He thinks Charlie is following after him. Coming here. Today." Edward spoke.

"He told Charlie?" Bella gasped. "But—doesn't he understand? How could he do that?"

"Jacob's on his way in now." Edward said.

Jake walked in. "Hey, guys,"

Leah and Seth were behind him, in their human forms.

"Rose," Bella said.

Rose handed Nessie to Bella.

Then the three of them came to the living room. "Charlie'll be here soon," Jake said. "Just a heads-up. I assume Alice is getting you sunglasses or something?

"You assume way too much," Bella said. "What. Have. You. Done?"

"Blondie and Emmett woke me up this morning going on and on about you all moving cross-country. Like I could let you leave. Charlie was the biggest issue there, right? Well, problem solved."

I'd be the only one who'd stay.

"Do you even realize what you've done? The danger you've put him in?" Bella said.

Jake snorted. "I didn't put him in danger. Except from you. But you've got some kind of supernatural self-control, right? Not as good as mind reading, if you ask me. Much less exciting."

Edward was between Jake and Bella, afraid that she'd hurt hurt him again. "That's just a theory, mongrel," Edward said. "You think we should test it out on Charlie? Did you consider the physical pain you're putting Bella through, even if she can resist? Or the emotional pain if she doesn't? I suppose what happens to Bella no longer concerns you!"

"Bella will be in pain?" Jake asked, regretful.

"Like you've shoved a white-hot branding iron down her throat!"

"I didn't know that," Jake whispered.

"Then perhaps you should have asked first," Edward said.

"You would have stopped me."

"You should have been stopped—"

"This isn't about me," Bella interrupted. "This is about Charlie, Jacob. How could you put him in danger this way? Do you realize it's death or vampire life for him now, too?"

"Relax, Bella. I didn't tell him anything you weren't planning to tell him."

"But he's coming here!"

"Yeah, that's the idea. Wasn't the whole 'let him make the wrong assumptions' thing your plan? I think I provided a very nice red herring, if I do say so myself."

"What did you tell him?" I asked. "That Bella was hit by kryptonite and now she's different?"

"I didn't tell him anything about Bella. Not really. I told him about me. Well, show is probably a better verb."

"You phased in front of Charlie." I concluded.

"You what?" Bella whispered.

"He's brave. Brave as you are. Didn't pass out or throw up or anything. I gotta say, I was impressed. You should've seen his face when I started taking my clothes off, though. Priceless,"

I could see the scene in his mind, I laughed. I was the queen of laughing at the wrong time.

"Not funny, Violet." Edward said.

"Yes it is! Charlie's face was indeed priceless!" I said, laughing.

"You absolute moron! You could have given him a heart attack!" Bella said.

"Charlie's fine. He's tough. If you'd give this just a minute, you'll see that I did you a favor here."

"You have thirty seconds to tell me every single word before I give Renesmee to Rosalie and rip your miserable head off. Seth won't be able to stop me this time."

Jake started telling how Charlie's found out about him being a werewolf.