Death penalty

Carlisle and Edward came back home after trying to find Irina. Things happened more or less the way Alice had predicted, Irina had come to Forks to make peace with our family (after Laurent, her mate, had been killed by the werewolves).

Carlisle called Tanya, and she said she hasn't seen Irina since the wedding. It wasn't easy fort the Denalis to lose a sister, after what happened with their mother, who was killed by the Volturi for raising an immortal child.

As the days passed, my family and I had forgotten about Irina and were focusing on other things. Bella would go to Italy in a few days. When she get back my family would go to South America. Luckily I convinced Carlisle and Esme to let me stay in Forks, I wasn't needed in this 'mission', and I'd have more time with Seth and my friends.

I was tired and bored of my family talking about their trip to Brazil. Every detail had been gone over a hundred times already. They would start with the Ticunas, an indigenous tribe in Brazil, tracing their legends as well as they could at the source. And they've decided Jake would go along, he had an important role. My family knew it would be unlikely that the tribe who believed in vampires would tell their legends to any of them.

Emmett and Jasper were excited because they would have more hunting possibilites, and Emmett's dream was to wrestle with an anaconda. Esme and Rosalie were planning what to take. Jake was with Sam's pack setting things up for his own absence. Carlisle and Edward were planning the last details, while Bella held Nessie. Seth and I were sat snuggled into each other in the couch, talking.

I noticed Alice was packing things that were already organized. She was holding a crystal vase that was filled with white and red roses when Seth and I jumped when we heard the sound of the crystal shattering. The people who weren't in the living room ran to where we were to see what's going on. Her eyes seemed lost in some vision, she was having a vision.

"What, Alice?" Jasper asked.

"They're coming for us," Alice and Edward whispered together. "All of them."

For a few seconds everyone was silent.

"The Volturi," Alice moaned.

"All of them," Edward groaned.

"Why? How?" I asked.

"When?" Rosalie asked.

"Why?" Esme echoed.

"Not long," Alice said. "There's snow on the forest, snow on the town. Little more than a month."

"Why?" Carlisle asked.

"They must have a reason. Maybe to see..." Esme started saying.

"This isn't about Bella," Alice interrupted her. "They're all coming—Aro, Caius, Marcus, every member of the guard, even the wives."

This was not a good news at all. By the stories of the Volturi, Aro and Caius' wives never left Volterra.

"The wives never leave the tower," Jasper said. "Never. Not during the southern rebellion. Not when the Romanians tried to overthrow them. Not even when they were hunting the immortal children. Never."

"They're coming now," Edward whispered.

"But why?" Carlisle said again. "We've done nothing! And if we had, what could we possibly do that would bring this down on us?"

"That doesn't answer the crucial question! Why?" I said.

Even if no one knew how to answer my question, deep down I knew. They were coming for Renesmee.

"Go back, Alice," Jasper pleaded. "Look for the trigger. Search."

"It came out of nowhere, Jazz. I wasn't looking for them, or even for us. I was just looking for Irina. She wasn't where I expected her to be..."