Parents

I heard the doorbell ring again. "Oh god. I'm coming just wait." I walked out of the kitcchen and opened the door. I was greeted by Sicheng's parents "Hi...um. Come in." I moved so they could come in. "Pardon the boxes and paint and clear curtain things and lack of furniture in some rooms. We're just moving in and repainting some of the rooms." I led them to the kitchen "Just sit here. Sicheng is in the garage doing something. I'll get him." I went in the garage "Your parents are here. Why?" "Yeah, so about that. I told them that we're having dinner together. They came a little early." "A little? Sicheng, it's 3 in the afternoon. Now they're in the middle of dust in the half done kitchen and they're gonna blame me. Fix it."

Sicheng went into the kitchen and I followed. "Hi mom and dad." Their faces lit up when they saw him "Hi son. How are you?" "I'm good dad. How are you guys?" "We're doing well. We were quite surprised when you said that we're having dinner with Y/n and her father and stepmother." My eyes widened. I cannot believe this. "Do they live with you two?" "Actually Y/n moved them into a really nice home about 45 minutes away." Sicheng said with a smile. I sadly smiled knowing that he was just trying to convince his parents that I am a really good person.

"That's...good Y/n." His mother flashed a fake smile at me. "Thanks. I would do anything for my father and stepmother since they've done everything for me since my mom passed away." "It must be hard growing up without a mother." "Well, I have a stepmother." "I mean you're real mother." I wanted to scream at both of his parents right now but I didn't. I just nodded "It is but I've learned to manage." Sicheng's mom shrugged "That's good. So, dinner? We aren't eating it here are we? No disrespect but this looks like it's not ready to even be lived in." I could tell that Sicheng was getting angry so I just put my hand on his shoulder "No we're actually going to a really nice place." I clapped my hands together "How about we just make it a lunch near the beach. I'll pay. Let me go clean up and put on some better clothes."

I walked upstairs and into me and Sicheng's shared bedroom, with Sicheng following close behind. Once we were both in the room he closed the door "You're really...calm." I shrugged "Why would I be mad? This is a great opportunity for our parents to meet. And we can tell them about our engagement." "Right..that. Do we have to tell them? I mean we told your parents but mine..is it necessary?" I stood up and grabbed the sides of his face "Yes it is. I want them to finally welcome me, not keep pushing me away. I know I kinda made you grow up fast." "You didn't do anything but stay by my side through everything. In which I love you for." He leaned down and kissed me and I kissed back immediately. "I love you more." 

We both got dressed and I told my dad and stepmom to meet us at a restaurant that wasn't far and near the beach. "Babe my parents are on their way now." "Good. Now the question is, are my parents riding with us?" "Well...they kinda have to." Sicheng sighed "Okay. Whatever. Let's go." We went downstairs and his parents were already outside. I locked the door and we all got in my car. The whole car ride was just his mom criticizing the way I drive and me trying not to yell at her.

Went we got there I parked and got out. "Ugh finally. Out of that car. I have a guy that you can go to if your air conditioning doesn't work." "Mom! The A/C works FINE. Please stop complaining." We went inside and my stepmom and dad already had a table. We had all sat down. My parents were happy to finally meet Sichengs' but his on the other hand weren't so happy. My dad stuck his hand out "It's great to finally meet you. Sicheng talks about you guys a lot." Sichengs dad took it hesitantly good "I'm surprised he talks about us at all." "Yeah. He's always been so embarrassed of us." Sicheng put his head in his hand "Not embarrassed of you."

After a few minutes of awkward silence and random outbursts to make conversation, a waiter came over to us and asked us for our drinks and food. The ordering surprisingly went well. "So did Sicheng move you guys in or close to the house?" My stepmother said in hopes to make them talk. Sichengs mother spoke up "We live three, maybe four hours away." She looked at Sicheng "He didn't even tell us he had moved, or was moving." She looked back at my stepmom "He never tells us. He didn't tell us when he was moving to an apartment to be closer to Y/n. He didn't tell us when he was moving in with her. Nothing. I'm sure you guys have the same problem." My stepmom shook her head "Nope never. Y/n tells us everything. When she and Sicheng started dating, when they moved in together, and when they got engaged." 

Me and Sicheng started choking on our drinks. His parents looked at us but their faces were different. His dad was smiling and his mom was...not. His dad clapped his hands together "That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you two." His mom slammed her glass down "You two are what?" "Mom I was gonna tell you but you just hate Y/n so much it's hard." "Have you ever sat down and asked me why I don't like her?" I folded my arms "Why don't you like me?" "It's not- it's not that I don't like you-" "No you said that you don't like me. So why is it?" "You are turning my son against me right now! I can't take this." She stood up and angrily walked away.

I stood up "I'm gonna go talk to her." "Please don't hurt my mom." "Sicheng please. I'm not gonna fucking hurt her. Unless she hurts me first." Sicheng gave me 'the look'. "I'm kidding dammit." I walked outside and found his mom sitting on the dock. I sat down next to her "I'm sorry. For taking Sicheng away from you. I know I've made him do some things that you don't like and I understand why you don't like me now." She sighed "I do like you Y/n. I like you a lot. You're perfect for Sicheng. I just don't want him to get away from us. He barely even talks to us anymore and I know that's not your fault. We're about to lose our house and Sicheng doesn't even know and he probably doesn't care." I saw tears in her eyes. "No, I'm gonna take some of the blame. It's because we can't work things out. I haven't taken the steps to do so. So I am now. Do you wanna move in with us? We have two extra rooms. I was gonna make one my art studio and the other an office." "No I don't wanna be a bother." "You won't. You're my mother-in-law, you're never a bother." I stood up and she followed "Then yes please. Just until we can get back on our feet."

"Honestly, stay as long as you want." She opened her arms "I know we've never hugged genuinely but do you wanna try." I chuckled "Of course." I hugged his mom and it felt really nice. "Sicheng is lucky to have you Y/n." "He's even luckier to have you. Can we go back inside and eat now?" She giggle "Of course."