Chapter Thirty-Three

The next shopping booth Harry and I approach is selling customized handmade ornaments. Harry picks up an angel ornament off of the table.  Harry holds it to his eye level, "This is pretty. Would you like to get one?" I hold out my hand, and Harry lays it down in my palm. I flip it over with my free hand. I try to smile, "Remember how my mom ruined the holidays for me? Well I haven't had a Christmas tree in years. I wouldn't have anything to hang it on." Harry cups the side on my face, and I let my head fall into his hand. He smiles, "and remember how I was going to change your mind about the holidays? We can get a small Christmas tree." Harry tells the worker, "We will take this one please." The worker asks, "How would you like it customized?" Harry lets go of my face and leans down to whisper something in the worker's ear. The worker nods, "You got it sir." Harry places his hands on my shoulders and turns me around. I ask, "Babe, what are you doing?" Harry giggles, "You can't see. It's another surprise." After a few minutes, Harry turns me back around. The worker places the angel ornament in my hands. The beautiful cursive writing reads, "Harly's First Christmas '12 <3." Small tears begin to form in my eyes. Harry says, "I hope those are happy tears." I nod, because nothing comes out of my mouth, I'm speechless. I read the ornament over and over. "It's perfect," I raise myself by standing on my tippy toes to kiss Harry. I slightly pull away, and move my lips to his ear, "Let's pick out a Christmas tree next." I lower myself back to the ground and ask the worker, "Do you mind wrapping it up? I would hate for it to break. Thank you!" The worker hands me the ornament in a gift bag. The worker genuinely smiles, "Happy holidays! You guys make a cute couple." Harry and I start to walk away from the booth. Harry interlocks his hand with my free hand. He squeezes my hand, "Oh we will one day. One day soon. I promise."