Chapter Seventy-Four

I watch my iPhone vibrate around in a circle on my bedside table. I stretch my arm while hovering my hand over my phone, hesitating to answer it. My phone vibrates ten times before it stops. The home screen displays, "Harry <3 Missed call." Within a minute, my phone starts to vibrate again. On the last vibrate, using my thumb, I slide the arrow across the screen. Our line is connected but I don't say anything; the only sound I hear is my rapid breathing. Harry asks in concern, "Lily? Are you there?" My heart melts, it's wonderful to hear his beautiful British accent again. I hum, "Mhmm," not being able to speak. Harry's voice is small, "You hate me?" Small tears form in my eyes. Harry continues when I don't reply, his voice sounds like a little boy, "Did you mean it?" I take in a huge breath, and I sigh. "No, I don't hate you. How could I possibly? It wasn't your fault, you were just the easiest to blame." I hear a faint laugh on the other end of the line. "Who I should really blame is myself. I chose to go out with you. And frankly, after thinking, I don't regret it." Harry asks with curiosity, "You don't? But your mom.." He trails off. I close my eyes shut, trying to push away the pain. "My mom left once, so the second time wasn't as hard. Maybe it was meant to be. Maybe seeing her after so many years would make it worse. Now I can have closure." Harry whispers, "I'm sorry." "I'm sorry," I repeat his words. "Harry.. I.." I release my bottom lip from my teeth, "I need to know you forgive me and that we're still together." Harry's voice sounds from a distance, "One minute! I'm talking to my girlfriend." I let out the breath I've been holding and a huge smile is plastered across my face. Harry places his phone back to his ear, "Of course we're still together. I could never leave you. Especially at a time when you need me the most. I love you, baby." I laugh uncontrollably in relief, "I love you, too! Oh! Tell Louis I said Happy Birthday!" I hear Harry tell Louis, "He says thanks." Before he hangs up, Harry says, "Six days babe."