Chapter Fifty-Eight

Paul approaches the two security guards at the entrance doors. They give Paul a nod and let us through. Paul leads us past the merchandise booth, through section 212, and down the stairs to the front of the stage. We walk around the stage to a set of stairs. Paul points upwards, "You'll find Harry and the boys up there." I smile, "Thanks Paul." I climb up the stairs and observe the backstage. There are tons of people frantically running around, food tables, mobile closets, and props. I find Harry sitting in front of a mirror at a make-up station. His head is down; he shakes his hair, and runs his fingers through his bangs, pushing it to the side. Harry checks his hair in the mirror. He fixes a few strands and then smiles to check his teeth. Harry looks up at me when he hears me laughing. He shyly smiles, "Have you been standing there this whole time?" I smile back, "Not this whole time, but long enough." Harry stands up and pauses a few feet in front of me. "Wow, first a little black dress and now this pink dress. Are you trying to kill me?" Harry closes the space between us by hugging me. I squeeze him, "I missed you." Harry slides his hand down my bare back, "I missed you more. If that was a week, I don't know how I'm going to handle a month or months." Harry removes his hand from my back to rub this thumb over my bottom lip. Harry leans in to kiss me. The kiss feels desperate, like he's not ready to leave New York or this could be the last time he gets to kiss me for awhile. Harry separates the formation of our lips at the sound of fans filling up the arena. Their screaming is ear bleeding. "Are you nervous?" Harry quickly nods his head up and down, "This is any singer's dream. I've wanted this for so long." Harry interlocks both of his hands in mine. I ask, "How can I help?" A crease forms in between Harry's eyebrows, "I've never had a girlfriend to help me. Usually us boys just help each other." I suggest, "Hmm why don't I give you a pep talk?" Harry smiles in agreement and my heart begins to race.