Chapter Forty-Two

Harry follows my eyes to the Christmas tree, I laugh, "You've been here for a few hours and we only have the lights on." I walk to a cardboard box to grab the snowflake tree topper. "Harry, I have another job for you." He grabs the topper, "With pleasure." I then walk to the kitchen counter to grab our Harly angel ornament. "Where should this go?" Harry places his hand on my hand, guiding the ornament to the center of the tree. "Now you can find it easily," Harry says with a wink. I walk the box of ornaments to Harry, his eyes bulge, "There are so many." Harry and I both grab one. "I haven't seen these since I was seven. They're like brand new to me." Harry and I start to place the ornaments evenly around the tree. I grab the last ornament in the box. I read the cursive writing on the glass Santa, it reads, "Lily Rose Scott <3." I flip over to read the back, "Love, Mom. 2001." Harry rushes to my side when he hears glass smash on the floor. He holds out his arm across my chest, lightly pushing me back. "Lily, I don't want you to hurt yourself. I got it." Tears fall down my face and roll off my cheeks. Harry turns to look at me, his face turns into a frown. He grabs my forearms, "Babe, what happened? Why are you crying?" I wipe my tears with the back of my hand, but once I wipe one away, more just come. Harry tries to cheer me up, "Your eyes are beautiful when you cry." I lightly laugh, "Thank you." My tears slow down, I take a deep breath, "My mom gave me this the Christmas she left me and my dad." Harry pulls me into a tight hug. He runs his hand through my hair for comfort. I can feel Harry's phone vibrate in his pocket. I pull away with dry eyes, "I'm fine. You should answer." Harry's face looks hesitant. I squeeze his hand, "Really, go." Harry smiles, "It'll just take a minute." He walks to the kitchen and answers the call. I can barely hear him say, "Okay, I'll be there. Just give me a minute with my girlfriend." Harry sits next to me on the couch, "Babe, I know it's a bad time but I have to go." I object, "Do you have to? Stay the night. Please."