Chapter 35 - Sabito & Makomo Return

Thursday, 7:45 AM, Kimetsu Academy

Everyone had been going on with their day, when suddenly, the door opened.

Sabito and Makomo had returned, and everyone was surprised, knowing they haven't seen them since the first day of school.

Nezuko ran up to Makomo and gave her a big hug. "MAKOMO! WHERE WERE YOU?! I NEVER SAW YOU AGAIN SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!" she asked loudly, pouting. "Well, Sabito and I were chosen to study at a special school for about a few months. They told us we'd come back up to one week after the first midterm exams..." Makomo explained, scratching her head.

"Sabito, where'd you go this entire time?" Genya asked. "Like Makomo said, studied at a special school for a few months, came back here nearly one week after the midterm exams," Sabito answered. As everyone had been crowding the pair who had finally come back, Kanae entered the room. "Oh! Sabito and Makomo! How was your temporary studying area?" Kanae asked, interested about their time in a high-level academy. "Not gonna lie, a bit hellish..." Makomo answered, shivering a little. Sabito felt a bit mortified of his time there, as he said, "I nearly failed one of the tests because I had to concentrate on a History project..."

Kanae blinked in slight disbelief, then shrugged it off. "Anyway, I received and graded your 1st Quarter Midterm exams, and I'll write the updated version on the board! This will also include those who retook it."

1st - Isekai Mizuki (84 / 84)

2nd - Sabito (83 / 84)

3rd - Kanao Tsuyuri (82 / 84)

4th - Inosuke Hashibira (79 / 84)

5th - Makomo (77 / 84)

6th - Nezuko Kamado (76 / 84)

7th - Tanjiro Kamado (74 / 84)

8th - Muichiro Tokito (64 / 84)

9th - Aoi Kanzaki (61 / 84)

10th - Yuichiro Tokito (57 / 84)

11th - Murata (53 / 84)

12th - Genya Shinazugawa (50 / 84)

13th - Yushiro Yamamoto (48 / 84)

14th - Masachika Kumeno (47 / 84)

15th - Ozaki (45 / 84)

16th - Susamaru (44 / 84)

17th - Yahaba (42 / 84)

18th - Zenitsu Agatsuma (40 / 84)

"Thank God I even passed at all..." Zenitsu muttered, sighing as he finished eating a cheese stick. "I... actually did better than I thought I would," Genya said to himself, nodding in approval. "I'M NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 10 ANYMORE?! DAMN YOU, MAKOMO AND SABITO!" Murata yelled in anger as the two chuckled.

"Huh. He got planted right in between me and Kanao. I wonder how furious Inosuke is that he isn't in the Top 3 anymore..." Isekai wondered as he looked at Inosuke, to see him trying to hold in his anger. "I'm still smart, I'm still smart, I'm still smart..." Inosuke grumbled, visibly angry that he was displaced from the top 3. "DAMN IT! I'M NOT EVEN TOP FIVE ANYMORE?!" Nezuko yelled, also quite displeased with her new ranking.

"Anyway, class, we're going to be holding a Physical Test just specifically for these two. As members of the Corporation, we've prepared a strong robot for them. Their challenger will be Kiriya Ubuyashiki, the youngest of the family, who controls the robot from another area. To be honest, I'm not sure how he does this, considering he's only six..."

Later...

"You will be facing it directly. There's no splitups, meaning you will not be searching for each other. Now, and... start!" she announced as the robot began to activate.

In the robot's control panel room...

A young, black-haired boy was moving levers and pressing buttons rapidly, constantly giving the robot commands.

"This thing fights like Muichiro!" Sabito commented, a bit scared of the robot. "Nope, nope, nope!" Makomo repeatedly said as she ran away. The robot's design was quite complex. A blade on both arms, machine guns that fire spherical pellets, and extremely mobile legs that have their jump force reinforced with rocket jumping add-ons.

Sabito fought it head-on, with Makomo trying to deliver as many blows as possible. Eventually, Sabito was thrown away with a blocked blow that had too much force. "AAAAAAaaaaa..." Sabito screamed, becoming more faint the further away he flew. "Sabito! Ah-" Makomo called out as she realized that the robot was heading towards her.

Sabito busted himself out of a pile of metal, then tried to gather his surroundings. "...Hm?" He looked to his left, as he could see five throwing knives that seemed to be really sharp. "I have a good idea."  he thought, grinning. He picked up the knives and tried to aim at the robot.

"Wah!" "Oh no!" she kept crying out as the robot repeatedly swung at her.

"Get back here!" Kiriya yelled, increasing the intensity of his lever pulls and button presses.

"Fah!" Sabito huffed as he threw the knife at the robot, hoping to hit one of its vitals. It hit the core's protectors, but the damage was minimal enough that Kiriya was oblivious to it. Sabito threw the other four, fully breaking the core's layers.

"Hm?" he questioned, looking at the state of his remote-controlled robot.

Robot State - 96% (NEARLY PERFECT)

"Bah, it's prolly nothin'." he dismissed it, putting back his full concentration on the fight.

"Alright... I gotta time this right... Aaaand..." he said to himself whilst take a throwing stance with his sword. The robot's core was on sight. Sabito readied his throw, with the point of the blade hitting first. "There!" he yelled internally as he threw his blade at the core.

Kiriya's robot had Makomo cornered, when suddenly, the state percentage depleted to 4.

Robot State - 4% (CRITICAL DAMAGE RECEIVED)

"What the..." he asked himself as he looked behind to see Sabito, who was in a throwing pose.

"Makomo! Now!" Sabito called, prompting the former to do something. "Right!" she answered as she pulled out the sword stuck in the robot's back, then thrusted the same sword and hers in, completely defeating the prototype.

The screens in Kiriya's control panel went into a static mode, as the robot's core was fully destroyed.

"And the student team wins!" Kanae announced as the entire class cheered.

Later...

"Welcome back, Sabito, and nice job on the test!" Genya congratulated him, patting his back. "Thanks," Sabito replied, scratching his head. Nezuko and Ozaki were repeatedly complimenting Makomo, making her a bit embarrassed. "You did so well, Makomo!" "I-i-it was nothing, really..."

To be continued...