Chapter 89 - Holding On To Life

It had been two full hours since the war began, and the human side was beginning to lose its power. Tanjiro was able to cut down a group of them before he had to back out, since he was losing stamina. Genya was nearly killed by Akaza, but was saved by Yuichiro.

"Damn it, everyone's losing! Where's Kanao?! We need to at least secure her in order for the mission to be complete...!" Isekai mutters, sprinting off to the distance. He hid behind a rock and tried to gather his stamina. When he hopped out again, he slashed past some demons, and he came upon Muzan.

"Ah, there you are. I've been searching for you," he says, trying to snatch him using his Flesh Whips. Fortunately, Isekai blocks them with his light wall, and summons a Power Mimic to kick Muzan in the face. Although effective, the demon recovers from it immediately and searches for a demon with suitable power. He finds a demon that throws explosive fireballs as their Blood Magic, and Muzan uses his arm to devour them.

Of course, he gains their power, and he starts trying to shoot down Isekai. Just as he was about to get hit, Giyu comes to his aid, cutting the ball in half. They both fight him together, but to no avail, their inferiority became their downfall. Giyu nearly lost his leg, and Isekai almost got his right eye stabbed.

"This isn't good, this definitely isn't good...! We're holding onto life so desperately...!"  Isekai comments mentally, kicking Muzan in the face. But, before he could back out, Muzan's Flesh Whips got a grip on him. Then, more wrapped around his arm. Giyu tried to save him, but was intercepted by Doma, who was then tackled aside by Shinobu Kocho.

But, they didn't get enough time, and Isekai could only try to resist as his right arm was torn off by Muzan. "GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! *grimace* OOOOH, FUCK!" he screamed, trying to stop the burning pain inflicted on him. Blood was dripping, and Muzan ate his arm. "Delectable," he comments, ready to eat the rest of him. Suddenly, he was interrupted by Gyomei's flail. Mitsuri then swiped away Isekai, moving aside from the battlefield to treat his wounds.

Meanwhile, Kaigaku, Zenitsu, Murata and Nezuko were all fighting Kokushibo, who barely needed to try. The four were worn out, and the six-eyed demon never even had a scratch on him. "This is pointless, you four. I'll only kill you," he says, cracking his knuckles. But they still tried to fight him.

The Kocho sisters were fighting Doma, and they were at equal levels. Although struggling to deal with the ice obstacles the demon keeps placing, they were able to land hits every now and then. Eventually, Kanae was able to flicker behind Doma, and kicked him towards Shinobu, who punched him upward.

Kanae then hopped above him, and kicked him downward, which was followed by Shinobu uppercutting his gut. They both punched him in the face, sending him flying. When he regained his stature, he was too late to realize what was happening, as Kanae and Shinobu closed their blades onto his neck. They got the hit, but it never went through.

"Wow, that was a great strategy!" he complimented them, bursting ice wind to knock them back. They landed safely on their feet. They caught their breath, and regained their composure, then charged at him again. However...

The Kocho sisters were backed into a corner. "Ah, young women. I love to devour them. It seems that the short one doesn't have much strength... and the tall one isn't that different. I'm not sure why you bothered to fight me in the- oh! I know you!" Doma rabbles, recognizing Kanae. "I ate your family when you were young. That one must be your little sister. Hang on... did you have a dead twin?" he asks, striking Kanae's nerves.

"You... you! You're the one who ate Chinobu, weren't you?!" Kanae asks, fury rising. "Did I touch a nerve? Come, then. Show me that you have the power to avenge your dead twin sister," Doma taunts them, fans at the ready.

Chinobu Kocho (Shinobu Kocho's dead twin sister. Killed and devoured by Doma. She's just made-up for this story, Shinobu doesn't have a canon twin.)

Their butterfly and flower magic swirled along them, and their eyes started to glow. In a bit, they underwent a harrowing transformation. Kanae's hair now faded to a glowing pink, and Shinobu's still faded to purple, although it was glowing like Kanae's.

"Doma... we will kill you here and now!" they said, the furious spirits of Chinobu, their mother and their father standing behind them. Doma realizes what he's seeing, and laughs excitedly. "Finally, finally! A challenge! Come at me, Hashiras, make this a fight for me to remember!" he exclaims, charging at them.

Suddenly, they inflict eighty slashes onto Doma, but all of them miss his neck. It sent chills up his spine, and he quickly regenerated. "So we're playing dirty now. Fine, let's do this..." Doma says in a monotone voice, his power flaring up.

Tanjiro hits to the side with Ozaki and a 2nd-year student, who both patch up his battle wounds. He was about to get up when a slayer stumbled down and then tried to get up, only to be killed. When the killer stepped out, it revealed to be Kanao. "K-Kanao...?" Ozaki questions, a tear dripping down. Tanjiro stands up, and faces her.

"Both of you, leave. Tend to the others," Tanjiro says. The second-year then questions him. "B-but what about your kn-" she tried to ask as she was cut off. "Just go! Don't make me repeat myself again!" Tanjiro yells. They both nod and set off for the others.

"So, we meet again..." demon Kanao says. Tanjiro stays silent. "...I'm going to regret what I'm about to do. But this is for everyone you've killed!" Tanjiro says, fury and sorrow growing. "Then bring it, dear. Show me your maximum power..." she demands, her horn becoming slightly bigger, her sclera becoming black, and her power tremendously buffed.

Tanjiro breathes in, and out. "I was given this power to carry out a task, and I will do my duty!"  he says internally. "Hinokami Kagura... Amaterasu!" he then calls, flame wrapping around his body, and then exploding. They both are now at their peak power. Then, they both charge at each other.

To be continued...