Chapter 56 - Paint-splat Battle Royale II

After team 3-AA had been eliminated, only seven teams remained. After a run-in with team 1-AD, Kanao had run out of bullets on her explosive gun, and replaced it with an enemy's one-handed shotgun.

Team 1-AE

Kaigaku, Masachika, Muichiro and Yuichiro were the first to hit the center of the battleground. After Masachika strapped the RPG to his back, they went back down to try to hunt down more teams.

Masachika put his arms behind his head, asking: "Hey, Kaigaku, why didn't you want that rocket-propelling grenade launcher?" to which Kaigaku raised his eyebrow, then asked: "Wait, that's what RPG means? Oh. Never thought of that. Also, that thing had crappy mobility. Even if I'm better than you scrubs, that thing's gonna hinder my speed. Also because you're the only one who can manage heavy weapons. You're carrying what someone called "the heaviest light machine gun acquirable in this map", and yet you're sprinting at the same speed as kelp-head 2 (Yuichiro)."

Masachika shrugged, muttering: "Alright, you win." when suddenly, Muichiro was instantly knocked out. Yuichiro realized what happened, then yelled: "RUN! MUICHIRO'S BEEN ONE-HIT!" as the three began to run through the path. Kaigaku pulled out a smoke grenade and blew it open, hindering the attackers' sight.

In the bushes, a head with pale hair popped out. The person's eye opened, revealing the person to be Yushiro. "Alright then, thermal sights it is." he mutters as he switches the optics on his sniper. "Hasta la vista, bitch." he muttered as he cocks up the gun and instantly takes down Kaigaku. In the distance, he yelled: "Damn it!" as Yuichiro and Masachika exited the smoke. Before Yuichiro could get shot down, Masachika pulled out a grenade, then tossed it into the crossfire. It got caught, and the bomb exploded, allowing them to escape.

Yushiro facepalmed, then gave his next command. "Team. Split and search." Yahaba, Susamaru and Genya got up from their hiding spots to split around and search.

Masachika and Yuichiro were able to get somewhere safe, hiding behind a shed. They went to its entrance door to go inside and try to restore their energy. Masachika recovered his breath, then asked: "Yuichiro, want a candy bar?" he asked, pulling out four. He added: "Yeah, originally, Kaigaku and your younger brother were supposed to have one too, but they're both dead." Yuichiro nodded, then the only other one alive of the team tossed two. They ate up, and when they opened the door to get back on the field, a beautiful figure of a woman loomed upon them. She giggled, then said: "Hello, boys~" as she and her team cocked up their guns.

Team 1-AC

Isekai, Tanjiro and Kanao could hear screams from somewhere far away, followed by a gigantic explosion. Kanao shivered, muttering: "Hopefully whoever that was didn't get nuked..."

Isekai picked up more shotgun rounds and passed them to Kanao. Soon enough, Tanjiro could smell someone. He said: "WAIT! STOP! Someone's nearby."

They could all hear rustling leaves, pitter-patter of feet running across the dirt. A long pause... and Isekai threw a sprinkler inside a bush, and out came Susamaru trying to pull it off of her. It was of no use, and she was defeated. Susamaru yelled: "DAMN IT!" as she dropped her guns and throwables, and went to exit the map.

Yushiro groaned, muttering: "Damn it, Susamaru! I told you to keep quiet! Now you're dead and we're neck-to-neck with group 1-AC member-wise..." as he cocked up his sniper. A pellet was fired, and no one could react quick enough to dodge it. But... Kanao could react quickly enough to take the hit. Tanjiro was about to get shot, and his girlfriend threw herself in the crossfire, and was taken down instantly.

Tanjiro ended up letting out a tear in gratefulness, as he picked up her shotgun, dropped his recently empty sniper rifle and left the scene with Isekai.

After the remaining two stopped to catch their breath, Isekai sprayed cleaners on both him and Tanjiro, then asked: "Where's Kanao?"

Tanjiro looked at him. He instantly knew the answer from there, and muttered: "...oh."

After they caught their breath, before they went to move, Tengen came onto the speaker. "Hey, hey, folks! Only 3 teams remain! 3-AB, 1-AC, and 1-AD! Step the game up, now. The border's gettin' closer!"

After Yushiro commanded his team to go into the shed that Masachika and Yuichiro were beaten down in, they all came out wielding some of the weapons that they dropped. Yahaba held Masachika's launcher, and Susamaru took Yuichiro's spray gun. They had a close run-in with Shinobu's team, but they were able to leave the scene before being spotted.

Elsewhere outside the map...

A door opened with Kanao standing behind it. She walked inside to meet the others who were shot down, and the spectating students. Aoi was the first to notice her. "Oh, hey, Kanao!" she called. Kanao walked over to her and asked: "Who were you shot down by?" to which Aoi replied: "Isekai. The dude was really stealthy." Kanao just nodded, and went over to get herself a cup of cola. Before she could pick up a cup, Zenitsu stopped her. "Two things. One, who were you shot down by? Two, before you can eat anything, take off your gear and hang it over there." Kanao just said: "Yushiro. Why?" as she raised her eyebrow. Zenitsu just nodded and walked away. After Kanao got her gear off and put back on her uniform, she went out to finally get her cola cup.

When Kanao finished drinking up and eating a few dango sticks, she went over to join the rest in spectating. One of Shinobu's team members was shot down by Yahaba without them knowing, and Tanjiro's team was far away from everyone else's.

Team 1-AC

Tanjiro and Isekai were trying to find their way to the center, but kept getting stopped by dead ends. "Damn it! How can we get out of here?!" Isekai angrily questioned. Tanjiro pointed through an open path, and they finally made their way. And sooner than they thought, all 3 of the final teams met at the middle. All of the remaining contenders drew their guns.

Tengen looked at the 8 remaining players, slammed his hands on the desk, and announced: "Folks, it seems that all 3 teams have met at the middle! Guns better be loaded and ready, because we're in the Wild West now. Fastest gun wins!" as the border stopped closing.

"We're in the endgame now."

To be continued...